HELP!! DUCK WITH POSSIBLE BUMBLEFOOT!!

Could the bumps be from settling from an injury or a sting? Have you noticed the bumps getting any smaller?
Just a thought..

It could be from a sting. My ducks have access to where our raspberry bush is and I did notice a lot of bees around there. But how can I be sure of what is wrong??

Post a picture. That may help usidentity what is gong on
1f642.png

I switched to original neosporin ointment and tried to wrap her leg but can't get it to stay on, so I am doing Epsom salt water soaks and then spraying her legs with vetericyn spray also keeping her isolated with clean potty mats and also have started her on Terra vet antibiotic powder that is in her water. There is no open wounds I can see and the bubbles on her legs are not hard like rocks but they are a little firm and somewhat squishy she is still eating and drinking and walking ok not limping as bad as when I first noticed her. So does anyone know if all this is a good start and ok to do or any other suggestions??

I think you are doing pretty well - sound like bumbles, probably. But neetabeamie's question is a good one to bear in mind. They will get smaller very slowly - it has taken five weeks for a small bumble to go away in my experience. I would put neosporin ointment on the foot and leg at bedtime, and nevermind wrapping. I used to wrap, and it only worked half the time....but getting it on at night, when they are less active, and not swimming (in my case) makes sense to me.

Could the bumps be from settling from an injury or a sting? Have you noticed the bumps getting any smaller?
Just a thought..
Good point. The Epsom salt would help with injury. I think a sting would only last a day or so, but not sure.

Post a picture. That may help usidentity what is gong on
1f642.png

We are out of state till tomorrow so as soon as I get back home I'll get pictures posted. But I've only been treating her 3 days now and haven't noticed them getting smaller yet.

Last edited:
I think you are doing pretty well - sound like bumbles, probably.  But neetabeamie's question is a good one to bear in mind.  They will get smaller very slowly - it has taken five weeks for a small bumble to go away in my experience.  I would put neosporin ointment on the foot and leg at bedtime, and nevermind wrapping.  I used to wrap, and it only worked half the time....but getting it on at night, when they are less active, and not swimming (in my case) makes sense to me.

Good point.  The Epsom salt would help with injury.  I think a sting would only last a day or so, but not sure.

So will I have to have any kind of surgery done on her to remove them or can they go away with home treatments like I've been doing?? Cuz I've read a lot on other stuff that surgery is done to get rid of them?

I switched to original neosporin ointment and tried to wrap her leg but can't get it to stay on, so I am doing Epsom salt water soaks and then spraying her legs with vetericyn spray also keeping her isolated with clean potty mats and also have started her on Terra vet antibiotic powder that is in her water. There is no open wounds I can see and the bubbles on her legs are not hard like rocks but they are a little firm and somewhat squishy she is still eating and drinking and walking ok not limping as bad as when I first noticed her. So does anyone know if all this is a good start and ok to do or any other suggestions??
I need to ask if your ducks have been walking on anything real hot? asphalt concrete metal etc? that can cause blisters, which is what it sounds like your duck has. Soaking in the ES and using the Veterycin , just watch if the bubbles open you want to keep the foot as clean as possible to keep infection from getting in.

I need to ask if your ducks have been walking on anything real hot? asphalt concrete metal etc? that can cause blisters, which is what it sounds like your duck has. Soaking in the ES and using the Veterycin , just watch if the bubbles open you want to keep the foot as clean as possible to keep infection from getting in.

Well the weather was really hot recently, but they have access to a pool and there is 2 areas we have for them one is all dirt cuz the ducks and chickens have cleared the grass but the other area they can go to is all tall grass and a raspberry bush. But the bubble is on top of her foot on her toe and the other one is right at the ankle part on front of her other leg. I have her isolated away from the rest of the flock in a small space to keep her from walking to much and I keep her area clean every day with fresh dog training potty pads.

Last edited:
Well the weather was really hot recently, but they have access to a pool and there is 2 areas we have for them one is all dirt cuz the ducks and chickens have cleared the grass but the other area they can go to is all tall grass and a raspberry bush. But the bubble is on top of her foot on her toe and the other one is right at the ankle part on front of her other leg. I have her isolated away from the rest of the flock in a small space to keep her from walking to much and I keep her area clean every day with fresh dog training potty pads.
Well keep us updated on how she is doing and remember they shouldn't drink the ES water it is also a laxative.

Well keep us updated on how she is doing and remember they shouldn't drink the ES water it is also a laxative.

Ya she is kinda stubborn about wanting to drink it but I keep a watch on her while she soaks her legs and usually it's not a problem. I will be posting pics of her legs as soon as I get back home!!

QUESTION!! I have her on the Terra vet antibiotic in her water and it does say to keep fresh unmedicated water as well, but in case she isn't drinking enough of the antibiotic is it ok to take the plain water away so she will drink more of the medicated water??

Back
Top Bottom