HELP! Duckling can't walk, no balance, had injury.

Excuse my recent questions, I had you confused with another member.

Looking at the video it's obvious she's having some problems staying balanced; along with the involuntary muscular movements, which suggests there is likely something directly affecting her neurological sytem. Please refer to some of my posts above regarding which diseases may affect the nervous sytem.

You have not provided any clarification on what you have done so far as treatment, but for now, I would try getting her started on some vitamins, and provide overall supportive care, along the lines of making sure she's getting plenty of feed and water inside her, and is being housed in a calm, stress, free environment. I am unable to directly identify what the underlying cause may be; for that, you would need to get in contact with an avian veterinarian, so a physical exam, and diagnostic tests can be performed. If not an option, continue to provide supportive care. Often times supportive care alone is enough to get these birds back in good shape.

If you post a few pictures of her poop, that may offer some clues on what's going on. Please continue to update us, on her condition.
We are putting rooster booster in her water, she is in a calm brooder separated from the other ducklings.

Attachments

• DB9ABAD9-845F-480C-A1E2-D3F9C8C7482B.jpeg
    DB9ABAD9-845F-480C-A1E2-D3F9C8C7482B.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 14
We keep finding her upside down or on her side. She can’t balance at all

Sadly, besides what's been suggested in this thread, there's not much you can do at home. I would say if you're seeing improvement with the supportive care you've been doing, continue that, but if you're not you'll need to see an avian veterinarian willing to see poultry, as it's going to be hard to pinpoint her problem.

Sadly, besides what's been suggested in this thread, there's not much you can do at home. I would say if you're seeing improvement with the supportive care you've been doing, continue that, but if you're not you'll need to see an avian veterinarian willing to see poultry, as it's going to be hard to pinpoint her problem.

Attachments

• C7F5B64C-2EE5-4C4D-8673-A71DAF80D0AF.jpeg
    C7F5B64C-2EE5-4C4D-8673-A71DAF80D0AF.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 54216E59-1183-44E2-8DB9-14BE42F0FD3E.png
    54216E59-1183-44E2-8DB9-14BE42F0FD3E.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
She’s doing much better now but she has a weepy eye. Is this something bad?

Attachments

• CB5FB0CA-2151-40F5-8FEA-700B98B0EFF4.jpeg
    CB5FB0CA-2151-40F5-8FEA-700B98B0EFF4.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 12
She’s doing much better now but she has a weepy eye. Is this something bad?

Subsequently due to the fact that you're keeping her inside, likely under no access to a deep water source, she could be developing a bacterial overgrowth in her eye or has gotten some bedding or dust which is causing some irritation. You can try flushing the eye with some saline and try applying an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin, which can be found at your feed store.

Know this thread is old. I was hoping you may see this and let me know how long it was before you saw improvement with your duck. Mine is doing the exact things yours was..with no improvement after 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom