Help! Duckling hatched early!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I just put him in a small plastic container in the incubator with dry paper towels. I did get a picture but the naval seems to be getting worse and worse and his stomach is slightly bigger too.
9D935024-D44E-423F-8C55-FC79F36A51E4.jpeg

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I just put him in a small plastic container in the incubator with dry paper towels. I did get a picture but the naval seems to be getting worse and worse and his stomach is slightly bigger too. View attachment 2029081

awww what a precious little face!
Hopefully the bowl will help. keeping him immobilized should give it the chance to continue to absorb, without being ripped out. You can dab a little neosporin or vaseline on it to keep it from sticking to the dry paper towel.

Honestly that looks bad, almost like infection. The belly shouldn't be swollen like that either but maybe its swollen because it finally just absorbed.🤷‍♀️
If it was mine I would carefully cut that goopy hanging stuff to shorten it at least. Staying far away from the navel. Just so duck won't drag or step on it. It doesn't look like yolk to me... I don't know what it is. It doesn't appear to have veining or anything. I wonder if the duck keeps pulling on the goopy stuff and its pulling the navel too much? I'd also keep duck warm and as still as you can. I'd also apply neosporin without pain relief often to the navel.

Hi everyone, another update as of this morning, Tuesday 2/18 he has fluffed up and looks slightly better. I cut the yellow stuff off and put some neosporin around the naval and it has stopped bleeding. I am getting more worried about his legs because although he kick them around, he doesnt seem to know how to use them or stand on them. I used the bandaid method to help his curled toes to try and help him get the strength in his legs. His stomach is no smaller than last night. He still squirms around and wont sit still, it’s mostly his head that he shakes around a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi everyone, another update as of this morning, Tuesday 2/18 he has fluffed up and looks slightly better. I cut the yellow stuff off and put some neosporin around the naval and it has stopped bleeding. I am getting more worried about his legs because although he kick them around, he doesnt seem to know how to use them or stand on them. I used the bandaid method to help his curled toes to try and help him get the strength in his legs. His stomach is no smaller than last night. He still squirms around and wont sit still, it’s mostly his head that he shakes around a lot.
He's just as cute as a bug! :love

I'm wondering if some "physical therapy" (suspended in a chair-type contraption where his feet can almost touch the ground or in a sling where you assist him to walk) might help, if it's feasible? And, if you're not already, it may help strengthen his immune system and provide extra energy to offer a supplement like Nutri-Drench. Re his umbilical: it's possible that with continued treatment, the black lump may dry up and fall off - I once had a chick that hatched with a messy navel area, and I kept it moist and clean with triple antibiotic cream - as you are - and it gradually shrunk in size. Then, one day, I think another chick picked it off because it was just gone...and he was fine.

Rooting for your little guy!

Sorry if this is too long, I just want to be as detailed as possible.

I set a bunch of shipped call duck eggs that were due to hatch last Thursday 2/13 and they all hatched then and friday. I also set another batch of my own call duck eggs that were due to hatch today 2/17. Except one of the eggs from the second batch pipped on friday and ended up hatching on Saturday!!! The duckling was very goey and there was a tiny amount of blood in the incubator. Also, the yolk wasn’t fully absorbed and its a dark yellow color with white spots and a bloody bump around the naval! His feet are curled as well and his stomach seems slightly larger than normal. There were also some viens still hanging from the yolk but as of sunday morning they were dried. I kept him in the incubator on warm moist paper towels and wrapped in one, but he is very active(and loud) and will NOT sit still. He will kick his legs and scoot around the entire incubator no matter what I try. As of today the yolk seemed absorbed a little bit more but there are small blood spots around the incubator that seem to be from the bloody area around his naval.
I have no idea what to do as this is only my first time incubating ducks and my second time hatching anything.
Wow sounds like you have it all going on I am going to follow this and see what other people say, I am in the first 6 days today of incubating ducks but I brought them from a farm and brought them home myself, but they all seem to be developing differently and 2 of them seem to be further on than the other 2, it sounds like your little chap is going in the right direction and hatched a little early keep him warm and all should be fine x

Back
Top Bottom