1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Duckling leg problem!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovelyducklings, Jan 1, 2016.

1. lovelyducklings

lovelyducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    okay so my duckings leg got stuck in the wire of his cage and he had these bubbles on his feet?! what do i[​IMG] do?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. DuckLoverZach

DuckLoverZach Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    It looks like his circulation was cut off. My ducking had a similar problem when tape was caught around its leg. What I would do was get a small bowl with an inch or two of water and add about a teaspoon of Epson salt. I gave it 3 soaks a day for 3 or so days or until it got better. Not sure about the bubbles though... She is now 6 month old and as healthy as can be.

3. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    How long was the circulation cut off, and how long ago did it happen? Blisters, to my knowlege, would suggest tissue death in this case. His little foot looks pretty discolored. I wish I could help, but I'm not sure what you should do and I don't want to suggest something that would make matters worse. I hope someone on here can

4. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    not sure how long it was cut off, I think 30min to 2 hours? :( this happened yesterday but his foot didn't get bubbles until today

5. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    @DuckLoverZach thanks! I just let his foot soak, drinking the water hurt him? I tried my hardest to make him stop but inevitably he got a few sips in

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @lovelyducklings Epsom Salt is also a laxative so try hard not to let your duckling drink the water. Poor lil thing please keep them out of and off of wire. Hopefully with time the blisters will open on their own I don't think I'd try to open them but once they open, soak then keep the little one on as clean of bedding as possible till they are healed up. Can he put weight on his foot and walk okay? You could use triple antibiotic ointment or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections.

When I soak I use something like a small bucket so once I put the duck into it standing and me holding onto it it can't dip its head down to drink the water.With a small duckling a small bowl just enough Epsom salt and water to cover bottom part of legs Put both legs in it's easier.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. DuckLoverZach

DuckLoverZach Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    @MissLydia Thankyou so much for adding that! I almost forgot. @lovelyducklings A few sips won't hurt him but try your best to stop it. You could also use a small enough bowl that's hard for him to dip his beak in as Miss Lydia said as well.

8. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    he can was but he doesn't want to, when he's laying down he lies on one side so the hurt foot doesn't touch the ground

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sure it's painful @lovelyducklings just looking at it it looks painful. How about today any change?

10. lovelyducklings

Aug 29, 2015
    Florida
    the bruising has gotten lighter and the bubbles look like they're going down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by