HELP! Duckling leg problem!

lovelyducklings

Chirping
Aug 29, 2015
Florida
okay so my duckings leg got stuck in the wire of his cage and he had these bubbles on his feet?! what do i
do?

Last edited:
It looks like his circulation was cut off. My ducking had a similar problem when tape was caught around its leg. What I would do was get a small bowl with an inch or two of water and add about a teaspoon of Epson salt. I gave it 3 soaks a day for 3 or so days or until it got better. Not sure about the bubbles though... She is now 6 month old and as healthy as can be.

How long was the circulation cut off, and how long ago did it happen? Blisters, to my knowlege, would suggest tissue death in this case. His little foot looks pretty discolored. I wish I could help, but I'm not sure what you should do and I don't want to suggest something that would make matters worse. I hope someone on here can

@DuckLoverZach thanks! I just let his foot soak, drinking the water hurt him? I tried my hardest to make him stop but inevitably he got a few sips in

@DuckLoverZach thanks! I just let his foot soak, drinking the water hurt him? I tried my hardest to make him stop but inevitably he got a few sips in
@lovelyducklings Epsom Salt is also a laxative so try hard not to let your duckling drink the water. Poor lil thing please keep them out of and off of wire. Hopefully with time the blisters will open on their own I don't think I'd try to open them but once they open, soak then keep the little one on as clean of bedding as possible till they are healed up. Can he put weight on his foot and walk okay? You could use triple antibiotic ointment or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections.

When I soak I use something like a small bucket so once I put the duck into it standing and me holding onto it it can't dip its head down to drink the water.With a small duckling a small bowl just enough Epsom salt and water to cover bottom part of legs Put both legs in it's easier.

Last edited:
@MissLydia Thankyou so much for adding that! I almost forgot. @lovelyducklings A few sips won't hurt him but try your best to stop it. You could also use a small enough bowl that's hard for him to dip his beak in as Miss Lydia said as well.

Back
Top Bottom