HELP! Duckling "paralyzed" on left side

Are you sure she didn't mean Crohn's disease? And you can go and get a shot of baytril from the vet for only a couple of dollars but you would have to administer it in the breast.

Hope your little one gets better.

Last edited:
Do you know what exactly baytril treats? Thanks for the helpful information! I really appreciate it.

I don't exactly know what all it treats, i do know that it is a broad spectrum antibiotic that works great and the vet should be able to help you with that without knowing much about poultry. Now lets just hope its bacterial and not viral...

Last edited:
I honestly think whatever is going on with it is because I was feeding it cracked corn. I have a friend who has ducklings I got from the same private seller and her's are perfectly fine.

I will post some pictures of Dewey soon! He was the "ugly" duckling of the bunch because he was missing a small amount of feathers on the top of his head, almost like a little scratch and he had a darker color around his head than the others. After a few days of having him this scratch went away. It's ironic he was my favorite and he survived! I really appreciate everyone's feed back. I have learned a lot through forums. It has give me a peace of mind and more hope than I expected! I can't wait until he gets better so I can spoil him! I live in the south so the weather is nice and warm and he will enjoy being in the sunshine to play. I take him in his little recovery basket outside to get some fresh air and sunlight. I prop him up and bundle wash cloths around him. I have been telling him since Friday that he is a fighter and we will get him better! I think I have even noticed him trying to quack vs peep. I will upload pictures of him soon.

Update date: Over night I have noticed my duckling breathing heavy n a very low constant peeping. His beak also seemed a little wet under his nostrils then he sneezed n I felt liquid come out. It was clear and very little. This worries me.

Call around first before spending money on a vet that has no clue. If they are a good vet they should tell you that the CAN or CAN'T help.

Never heard of "crowns"?

In any case.watch the duckling, make sure he eats/drinks. The leg problem may or may not go away. It may be due to niacin deficiency which should start to look better now that he is eating the proper food.

If it is an injury... try to find out what he may have done to himself. Is there anyway he can get a foot caught in something? Is his bedding either straw or wood chips (NOT CEDAR)? If he is on newspaper or something else slippery, he could have wrenched his leg falling on the slippery surface. If you have noticed, ducklings are very clumsy.

Make sure the duck has drinking water that is deep enough for his bill to submerge his nostrils. The mucous coming from his nose is not a good thing. If he looks like he is panting, he is TOO HOT. WATER, WATER, WATER

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom