1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help duckling turned aggressive to other ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandracollins, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    Hi just wondering have you any ideas what to do with my 4 week old duckling,I have 9 4 week olds and up until yesterday they were fine together.I moved them into a big run with a paddling pool ,the run is about 12 feet by 8 feet so its about 5 times bigger than where they were.One of the ducklings has become really aggressive to all of the other ducklings he runs at them and bites their wings and they squeal and if they get into the pool he chases them out,any ideas,thanks Sandra

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, they're reaching the age where they are establishing the order of dominance, and he/she wants to be the leader of the flock.

Just let them work it out for themselves. There is very little you can do to change any of it, anyway. The only time you should intervene is if someone is getting hurt -- under those circumstances, you may need to separate for a while and then carefully reintroduce.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a duck that is doing that too...Hes pulling feathers out and all the ducks run from him. I dunno what his problem is but hes going to be sold as I have to many drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by