HELP! Ducks attacked!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flapjackfarm, Mar 31, 2016.

1. flapjackfarm

flapjackfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

He actually began drinking just a bit ago and made a soft quack. He was walking around too. He's tired of being in that dog crate, I think. My hen is acting much more normally today, other than holding her head tight to her neck. They both were stretching out this morning though!

2. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    That's good to hear. I wouldn't leave them in the barn full time just yet, if I remember correctly you have chickens. They may peck the ducks and hurt them more so you can let them out for small amounts of time just watch them will they walk around.

3. flapjackfarm

But I noticed that he is holding his tail tucked down

4. flapjackfarm

I don't plan on putting them back in the barn for a few days, but my chickens are on a separate level and do not have access to the ducks.

Should I be concerned about his tail tucked?

5. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure, I haven't had a drake do that. Well thinking about it, ducks tuck their tails when they run from things so maybe he's saying he's scared.

6. flapjackfarm

Very possible... I would open the crate door and he would come out to me and stop under me (I was crouched down).

7. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    It sounds like he's scared. Did youbraise them, like do they see you as mom? He's acting like my drake that got lost for a day and when we found him, he was terrified. He'd hide under and next to me like yours is. He's going to need a lot of your time spent with him showing him that he is safe.

8. flapjackfarm

Whatever he was doing was a bad sign. I left for a few hours with my grandmother and came back to a duck no longer with us. My poor baby [​IMG]

9. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Oh I'm sorry, for you and your remaining duck. Poor thing.

10. flapjackfarm

Thank you. I've got 2, 6 week old Pekins that in hoping she can bond with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by