HELP! Ducks attacked!

That's good. Based on how you say she's acting I doubt she's traumatized but just to be safe introduce her and the ducklings slowly and supervised.

Oh, most definitely. The babies are still in a 4'x4' brooder in the garage and the dog crate is placed next to it so they've been able to hear each other. I'm going to wait until Casey is a bit more healed up before an introductions happen.

It's no problem, if any of my ducks were injured I like someone to talk it through with. Keep me updated with how the hen and ducklings are.

I agree. I'm still rather new to poultry keeping, so I like being able to discuss any concerns!

I will keep you updated, certainly!
Please make sure that you find where the mink got in and fix it asap. They will come back. Chicken wire is not good at anything other than keeping chickens/ducks inside it will not keep predators out, hardware cloth is the only thing that will work with predators half inch. minks can get through 1" opening.

Very sorry for your losses

There was a tiny gap where the floor and door didn't meet due to a slant in the concrete - that's where the mink got in. We've added wood to the door to fix that temporarily, but I think I will be leveling out the floor soon.
thumbsup.gif

I still cannot get my hen to eat. I feel like she's getting kind of weak. I spoke to my vet and she said I was doing everything right as far as care. I've tried a few flavors of puréed baby food, blueberries, grapes, lettuce, crumble...she wants nothing to do with any of them. My vet told me how to syringe feed her, but I have a hard time with that - she chomps down quickly and shakes her head until I can't hold the syringe in her mouth anymore.

I'm not sure what I should do for her. I've never had to deal with injuries like this before!

You could try putting her food in some water, that's how I get new ducks to eat. If you can't get her to eat like that you may need to hold her head a little harder and if she starts looking bad you may need to force feed her. As in have someone else hold her head and bill open and use the syringe. I'd hate for you to have to do that though so that's last resort. She may just need a little more time to heal before she eats.

Back
Top Bottom