Help! Due date?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magicpigeon, Dec 29, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My dog stole one of my broody's eggs the other day and cracked it open before I could smack him [​IMG] Aside from preventing this from happening again (locking him in the garage when she comes out to eat) I was wondering if anyone could guess when the eggs are due. I was away in Malaysia from the 7th to the 24th and she went broody during that period. The thing I found inside, before my dog promptly licked it up (graphic.....) was about 2-2.5 cm long, that's all I could see before it was gone [​IMG] I've checked out the egg candling pic and I think the eggs are at least 14 days incubated, but can't be sure. All I know now is that my roos are definetely doing their job and that my broody can be rewarded as well [​IMG] Excited but apprehensive [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

eta: They are silkie eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    My guess is just to let her hatch em out and see what happens. She could have waited to have a certain number of eggs,then started incubating, or they may be different ages. You kinda just gotta wait and see. she will do her job. 21 days is all it takes. I wish I could fast forward through my first 2 weeks of waiting! Mine are only on day 11 and its seemed like an eternity.my first broody too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by