Help! Dying duckling! *solved*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MochaDuck, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    So sorry for the numerous posts lol, but consider giving her a stuffed animal. If her mom abandoned her, no doubt she would appreciate something to snuggle up to.

quackiemama likes this.
  2. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Crowing

Jun 7, 2018
    Thank you. I can't get her to eat anything. Should I force feed her?

Will these vitimens work?

Attached Files:

quackiemama likes this.
  3. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Crowing

Jun 7, 2018
    I'll try to find something. She had a mirror that she was grounded from for awhile because she used it to escape her box haha. She has it back now.

quackiemama and Bridger Davis like this.
  4. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    No, those are for humans, and the timed release is harmful to ducks. Let her rest, watch her for signs of overheating like panting and trying to get away from the lamp, and try scrambled eggs asap. Force feeding her sounds a bit dangerous, and I'm sure she's just exhausted.

quackiemama likes this.
  5. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    I just reviewed your picture of her, and she looks extremely small. Probably at most 3 days old. It is a possibility that she is still feeding off the yolk of her egg sack or something, so don't expect her to eat a bunch. What brand of food did you have in there? Did you have the electrolytes I mentioned?

quackiemama likes this.
  6. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    I have to go to bed myself now, but I would actually reccomend something soft and cuddly instead of a mirror, and please try the scrambled eggs once she wakes up. AT your local feed store, you can find something like this[​IMG], and you can put 4 ml in a gallon of water for her, and it should help her regain strength. At this point, the problems are most likely rooted in one or more of the following:

1. Being so young and not needing food
    2. Pure exhaustion
    3. depression from missing mom
    4. malnutrition
    5. overheating
    I really hope I helped! Like I said, please keep us updated, and hopefully @A_Fowl_Guy and @Miss Lydia can be of some help. Good night!!

quackiemama likes this.
  7. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Crowing

Jun 7, 2018
    I have her a stuffed animal. She cried for me when I left to get it. I'll try the eggs. We don't have any of that stuff but I'll have my mom look for it tomorrow (I have to work). I don't have the electrolytes. The brand is something like dumuor (all I can remember is that it starts with a d).

quackiemama and Bridger Davis like this.
  8. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    OK. Let me know if she decides to eat the eggs. I personally dislike dumor, and would try an organic crumble feed with around 18-20% protein. Sounds like you're doing everything to the best of your ability, just watch her, and hope for the best!

quackiemama likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I agree with @Wyorp Rock, 100 degrees is too hot. Something like 85 degrees would be better I think. Her poop looks like she is dehydrated, so if I were you I would concentrate on getting fluids into her. Something like Gatorade or Pedialyte would be my choice, that and some NutriDrench.

Wyorp Rock, WVduckchick and Jpat like this.
  10. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Crowing

Jun 7, 2018
    Does the flavor of Gatorade matter? I've been giving her sugar water, is that enough or should I give that and Gatorade?

Wyorp Rock and quackiemama like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: