Help! Easter Egger hen or roo?

Thankyou Gander007! So do you mean they if he/she is a rooster they should be crowing by twelve weeks, or just based on comb size and color, body size, tail feathers(not sure what they're called), etc? And thank you Troll too! :D

My roo didnt crow until 20 weeks, but he had saddle and hackle feathers at 10-11. If s/he keeps an overall pattern, youre getting eggs. Big blotches of color on the wings, shoukders, back-you have dinner :/

I could never cook him/her. I'm getting chickens and quail to raise and eat, and I'm also raising turkeys at school for the FFA program. But I'm already attached to these two since hey aren't for eating. They've got names and my entire family loves them already. My grandparents are moving onto a couple acres within a few months, so I'm hoping I can convince them to start raising chickens and take my roo. I have never had a chick as friendly as this roo. I also have never had a roo before. Even though he is super friendly now, will that change once he matures?

I could never cook him/her. I'm getting chickens and quail to raise and eat, and I'm also raising turkeys at school for the FFA program. But I'm already attached to these two since hey aren't for eating. They've got names and my entire family loves them already. My grandparents are moving onto a couple acres within a few months, so I'm hoping I can convince them to start raising chickens and take my roo. I have never had a chick as friendly as this roo. I also have never had a roo before. Even though he is super friendly now, will that change once he matures?
That can very well change once he hits sexual maturity.

Ditto on what Ramirezframing said. My Rooster was sweet as pie, would hop up and sit on my lap and let me pick him up and carry him without making a fuss and would sit for hours letting me scratch his feathers under his wings if I let him. Then he hit sexual maturity and his whole demeanor changed in about a 2-3 week time period. He went from Tweety bird sweet to Tasmanian Devil evilness. He doesn't get near me now unless he is angry with me and wants to hurt me. The only time I pick him up now is when he is getting bossy with me and tries to chase me. I pick him up and carry him with me and won't let him go until I feel he has calmed down enough. My way of telling him I'm the boss. He hates it..does his rooster growly thing off and on the whole time. When he stops growling is the time I let him down.

Okay, so at this point I'm pretty sure "she" is a "he". Both chicks are almost six weeks old, and I know I need to get rid of the roo. So my question is, should I get a new chick? And if so, I doubt I'll be able to find one 6 weeks old. Would it be okay to buy a newly hatched chick from the feed store? I'm at a loss as to what to do. :/

You could check some of the local feed stores... I got 2 -4 wk old chicks from a small feed store who orders batches starting in early feb.. Had 2 breeds left so not much selection, but closer in age than starting over.

I would not get a newly hatched chick, the 6 week old will be too big for it and potentially hurt or even kill it. Look around for a 4-8week old chick. Search here on BYC on your states thread and ask if anyone has any chicks that age available and also check craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom