Help! Ee in trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellybean40, Aug 3, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. EE, 15 months, approx 6 lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. picked her up and clear fluid came out of her mouth and rear end. [​IMG]
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just got back today from a trip, so not sure. She was fine on Sunday.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.no except we are experiencing record heat.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. drinking and eating normally.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.clear and runny
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?just isolated her
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use enclosed coop with pine shavings, fenced run with oak leaves, and free ranges in the afternoon/evenings.

I am worried about her. I picked her up to see if she is molting, because she is missing some neck feathers and clear fluid poured out of her mouth!!! I see no mites or lice.

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    someone? Anyone???

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I am no expert on chicken health, but it could be drinking a lot of water d/t the heat.

Imp

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Its been so gosh darned hot maybe she just took a big drink, and has been drinking alot. It can make there pooh really runny from drinking so much water to try to cool off, and my White Rock hen yesterday drooled out a huge drink instead of swallowing before her treats of greens, I was not aware a chicken could hold so much water before swallowing so it freaked me out as well, but she appears fine today.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sometimes mine will expell some out of the crop. It can come and go. Don't know about the rear though. You might try using a little gatorade and water in a dropper to get her some electrolytes.

6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It sounds like a heat or crop problem. The clear, runny poo usually indicates heat stress. Is she holding her wings out from her sides and panting all the time? If you can, bring her someplace cool if she's showing these symptoms, and maybe even put a fan on her if you can.

You should probably also feel her crop, see whether it's abnormal. Just feel it gently, and if it's very hard or very bloated and squishy, then there's a problem. Often that will cause fluid to come out of the mouth.

The important thing right now is the make sure she's cool and has plenty to drink. Hopefully she'll start feeling better!

Good luck! Keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by