Help! EE with avulsion wound under wing.

nanasnuggets

Chirping
Jul 28, 2015
Bassett Wisconsin
Last evening, a neighbor's dogs killed three of my hens and wounded three others. One EE, Iris and my only remaining Australorp, Hildy, just have feather damage; but, my other remaining EE, Darth Vader, has an approximately 1 inch by 2 inch avulsion wound under her left wing. We cleaned it, removed feathers that were stuck to it and put antibiotic ointment on the wound. It's too large for blue kote or scarlet oil.
We have her in the house in a warm, safe place. She's obviously in shock, as are the other two. Vader is drinking and eating and eliminating. What else should we be doing for her? The other two seem 'lost'; should we look to replace the lost ones, soon or wait until next spring? Any advice would be welcome and appreciated. BTW - these are new neighbors and I'm uncomfortable 'accusing' their dogs..., but the carnage left behind makes them our main suspects.
Update: We had Darth Vader humanely euthanized late this afternoon. The wound under her wing avulsed into the muscle and despite our best efforts, was already becoming infected. She also developed respiratory issues and was having difficulty breathing.
The joys and sorrows of having chickens.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry!

Give your remaining hens a little time to get over the shock of the attack before adding more - but definitely get more hens!

As someone who has dealt with a neighbor's dog that killed chickens and repeatedly tried to kill my dog, I'd suggest a friendly trip to your neighbor's house to share with them what you suspect happened, and "encourage" them to keep their dogs secured in their own yard. If it was their dogs, they will be back every chance they get.

Thank you for the encouragement! My daughter's boyfriend is putting some cameras up for us - maybe we can get some proof!
Our girls have had almost five acres to free range on, but right now, we've put the two remaining into an approximately half acre fenced in area for their safety.
We know the risks of free ranging, but that's a risk we've chosen to take. It doesn't make the massive loss any easier.
Placed an order for 6 EEs and 2 Australorps to be hatched on the 17th; it'll be about 2 months until they're introduced to the older girls. I feel for the two remaining; they keep looking for their lost sisters
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom