Help! Egg bound hen

Juliacone35

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Hi one of my hens is acting very weird. I need help! She is a sapphire gem pullet. 4 1/2 months old. I just got home and she was very slow moving and fluffed out. We saw part of an egg hanging out and I went to pick her up and it fell out. It was a soft shelled egg. Even though it’s out she doesn’t seem to be feeling better. She is still squatting and walking around very slow. She just tried pooping and nothing came out. Should I give her a tums? Should I watch her for the rest of the night and see if she gets better? Is it possible that she could have another shell-less egg stuck in her when she just passed one on the ground? :(

She looks better now. Is walking around eating with the others. But what do I do to help this? We have seen a couple soft shelled eggs around the yard and the one that was stuck in her tonight was also soft. We have them on all flock feed since we have a rooster and free side oyster shell. She doesn’t seem to eat the oyster shell. At least I’ve never seen her eat from it. I am scared she is going to keep getting egg bound.

I would give either Tums with some cooked egg yolk, tuna, or salmon for vitamin D, or get some human calcium citrate with D3, and give one daily for 3 days. They can have 2 eggs coming through the oviduct and get egg bound, then lay another cloe behind it. I have not dealt with egg binding at all, but I would probably switch to layer feed. Flock raiser is better for non-layers, but if she has a calcium deficiency, layer feed might be best for the hens. I have fed both to my mixed flock over the years, and the roosters never had any kidney or gout problems with the extra calcium in layer feed.

Some hens may have a problem with the shell gland in the oviduct, or have been exposed to a respiratory virus that can cause shell problems. I also had a hen who was injured by a dog, and though she always had hard shells, she never laid a hard egg after the injury.

I would give either Tums with some cooked egg yolk, tuna, or salmon for vitamin D, or get some human calcium citrate with D3, and give one daily for 3 days. They can have 2 eggs coming through the oviduct and get egg bound, then lay another cloe behind it. I have not dealt with egg binding at all, but I would probably switch to layer feed. Flock raiser is better for non-layers, but if she has a calcium deficiency, layer feed might be best for the hens. I have fed both to my mixed flock over the years, and the roosters never had any kidney or gout problems with the extra calcium in layer feed.

Some hens may have a problem with the shell gland in the oviduct, or have been exposed to a respiratory virus that can cause shell problems. I also had a hen who was injured by a dog, and though she always had hard shells, she never laid a hard egg after the injury.
How long do your roosters usually live? I love our rooster and don’t want to risk anything with him.

Back
Top Bottom