HELP!! Egg eaters!

Briskrooster, do you feed your chickens egg shells? I've been doing that and they love them!!! I crush them up and you would think they are getting Apple pie! They also have slowed down on the egg eating. I don't know if it was the shock of winter coming or what happened! It's hard to tell since there egg laying is slowing down but I found 4 eggs today!

we'll try feeding them crushed egg shells then, since it worked for you! I'll tell you the outcome.... thanks :) nice silkies, i might get some one day as brooders...
smile.png

Mine did the same thing. I even saw an unusual behavior that one of the dominant hens acted like she was bullying a younger hen (they didn't know I was there) and the younger hen layed an egg "for her" and they all attacked that egg and ate it! It was almost like a body language thing of "hey lay an egg, we are hungry." Seeing this I thought it may be a nutrient issue.
They were on layer pellets and had oyster shell available but never ate any oyster shell.

Things I changed was to run oyster shell in a blender to make it powder (makes a mess don't do inside) and add to kitchen scraps and treats occassionally. I have a big green bean can and I mash up the egg shells in that small enough they can't tell it's eggs and give those to them every time the can gets semi full. I also fry up some scrambled eggs for protein for them.

That didn't solve it completely. I tried the mustard egg but they ate it! Next was a soap egg and it worked. I filled an egg shell with creme colored hand soap and set it in there. They immediately ran over and started chomping it. YUK was the response. I put one in the nest and it was busted up but not eaten. The next soap nest egg they wouldn't even touch.

Back
Top Bottom