HELP!!! Egg has gone unpipped for 36 hours after others all hatched!!! Still alive.

I don't see any blood vessels. Do you? With that beak, I don't think it will ever be able to get itself out. If blood vessels are dried up, I'd proceed with the assist. Peel it very slowly, very carefully - and the moment you see blood STOP. Press a piece of paper towel on it to stop bleeding, and wait some more. If all is going well, continue until you can see the navel and any yolk that remains.
The blood vessels look pretty dry. It’s the chewing motion I’m really concerned with because I see that means it’s not done absorbing the yolk. I just cannot see leaving it in there much longer. It keeps trying to push out and it’s breaking my heart

The blood vessels look pretty dry. It’s the chewing motion I’m really concerned with because I see that means it’s not done absorbing the yolk. I just cannot see leaving it in there much longer. It keeps trying to push out and it’s breaking my heart
I'd go ahead and help. I wonder if it's 'chewing' because it's just trying to zip out of the shell and not because it still has yolk to absorb. I'll be up for awhile yet, and watching this thread. I so want your little one to survive.

If you DO find unabsorbed yolk in the lower part of the shell, just leave the chick's bottom in that part of the shell. You can set it in a small cup or paper towel nest to keep it supported while it finishes.

I'd go ahead and help. I wonder if it's 'chewing' because it's just trying to zip out of the shell and not because it still has yolk to absorb. I'll be up for awhile yet, and watching this thread. I so want your little one to survive.
We are going to get ready to help it out and cross our fingers it survives. I will update once we make some progress

I've had chicks kick completely out of the shell, with some stringy yolk still attached and dragging behind them, or a small amount still stuck to their belly. I leave those in the incubator until the bits have dried up or fallen off.

@jessim I hope everything goes well with your chick. I've gotta get some shut-eye, so I'll check back in the morning. Hopefully you'll have pics of a beautiful little chick with a very unique beak!

Back
Top Bottom