HELP!!! Egg has gone unpipped for 36 hours after others all hatched!!! Still alive.

jessim

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
I hatched 12 eggs from one clutch, but one just is not pipping. I don’t know if it can’t reach the outer shell. I can see movement inside the air cell, but it has been that way for over 24 hrs. What do I do?!?!? All the other chicks hatched over 36 hours ago. This is day 23 almost 24 for this egg. It’s a silkie egg.

Attachments

• 439E7F62-93B3-4B64-B99A-4386B1A8C90C.png
    439E7F62-93B3-4B64-B99A-4386B1A8C90C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • F8257C46-7300-462E-A03F-6153937D5020.png
    F8257C46-7300-462E-A03F-6153937D5020.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
It's time to assist this hatch. First, you'll need to make a safety hole in the shell. Using a sharp screw, "drill" a hole into the AIR CELL end of the egg. Don't press hard, just let the tip of the screw make the hole. Then enlarge it to see what the heck is going on in there. Can you see the beak?
Please check this article - but scroll down to "Assisted Hatching for All Poultry"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
We did that and found it’s beak. It couldn’t pip because it has a deformed beak. The top part is half the size of the bottom part. It’s got a breathing hole now and it is breathing. We are going to leave it to absorb the yolk all the way and then will likely have to assist more.

We did that and found it’s beak. It couldn’t pip because it has a deformed beak. The top part is half the size of the bottom part. It’s got a breathing hole now and it is breathing. We are going to leave it to absorb the yolk all the way and then will likely have to assist more.
How is the chick?

OK then, it might need a little more time to absorb yolk! It seems so very late, though. You can peel a bit more of the shell to expose some of the membrane, and a little oil on that will show the blood vessels clearly, if any.

Attachments

• 551714D8-FFCA-42D7-B034-0DC85A84F7B1.jpeg
    551714D8-FFCA-42D7-B034-0DC85A84F7B1.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 37
I don't see any blood vessels. Do you? With that beak, I don't think it will ever be able to get itself out. If blood vessels are dried up, I'd proceed with the assist. Peel it very slowly, very carefully - and the moment you see blood STOP. Press a piece of paper towel on it to stop bleeding, and wait some more. If all is going well, continue until you can see the navel and any yolk that remains.

If you DO find unabsorbed yolk in the lower part of the shell, just leave the chick's bottom in that part of the shell. You can set it in a small cup or paper towel nest to keep it supported while it finishes.

I'd go ahead and help. I wonder if it's 'chewing' because it's just trying to zip out of the shell and not because it still has yolk to absorb. I'll be up for awhile yet, and watching this thread. I so want your little one to survive.
We are going to get ready to help it out and cross our fingers it survives. I will update once we make some progress

The chick had part of his brain exposed and died once out unfortunately 😢
@jessim, I may have found a clue as to what happened with your chick. I've just read that exposed brain in a chick can be due to too high temperatures or insufficient oxygenation in the incubator, during the first 3 days of incubation. These conditions can also cause malformations, and anomalies of the beak. Pages 53, 54, and 55:
https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf
Calibrate that thermometer in your incubator before you use it again. Best wishes and luck to you...

I hatched 12 eggs from one clutch, but one just is not pipping. I don’t know if it can’t reach the outer shell. I can see movement inside the air cell, but it has been that way for over 24 hrs. What do I do?!?!? All the other chicks hatched over 36 hours ago. This is day 23 almost 24 for this egg. It’s a silkie egg.
It's time to assist this hatch. First, you'll need to make a safety hole in the shell. Using a sharp screw, "drill" a hole into the AIR CELL end of the egg. Don't press hard, just let the tip of the screw make the hole. Then enlarge it to see what the heck is going on in there. Can you see the beak?
Please check this article - but scroll down to "Assisted Hatching for All Poultry"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom