When do I help hatching, chick pipped 22 hrs ago

I gave a weak chick water with ellectrolytes. Put a drop đź’§ on my finger and kept it against the chicks beak.
She/he nipt it. Repeated this a few times and seemed to get stronger. It survived. Was okay the next day.

I made electrolytes with water, a pinch of salt, honey and ACV. Search for a recipe for the amounts.

Could be a runt. Give the chick electrolytes and Nutridrench if you can get it. Give a little Nutridrench or electrolytes by the drops. Don't give too much, maybe 1 - 2 drops. I don't believe chicks will immediately start eating food 24 hours after hatching that frequently but still make sure your chicks know where the food and water is.

From your description of your chicks, they don't seem to be sick in any way, except for bulging crop. Your chicks might not know where the food and water are, and that could be all. Also, as @BDutch mentioned, never hold your birds upside down since that will block their airflow.

Now addressing the sour crop issue: the chick that threw up fluid should be monitored carefully. Throwing up fluid from the beak is a prime sign that your bird has sour crop, but I haven't seen it happen very often in chicks. See if it is drinking water or eating food. I'm pretty sure poultry can only get sour crop if they eat first.

Back
Top Bottom