When do I help hatching, chick pipped 22 hrs ago

chickensinnv

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
We have a chick who pipped yesterday and has now made some progress but has failed to hatch after 22 hrs. Three other already hatched chicks in the incubator- they all hatched 12 hrs before this one even popped.
I am anxious to get to other 3 out of the incubator (they have now hatched almost 36 hours ago).
When do I decide to try and help the chick that is trying to hatch?

Pictures of egg…chick has made several holes and we can see it moving. It did pip on the very end of the egg though, maybe that is why it is taking so long?
IMG_9362.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9361.jpeg
    IMG_9361.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 33
i would get the hacthed chicks out of the incubator, i have found that opening the incubater does nothing to the other chicks but be as quick as posible
and i would wait 2 more hours (once it has been 24 hour after the pip) before helping as the chick is in no danger right now because it can breath
good luck

Chick still had not hatched after 30 hours and was not making progress, first I tried to help by continuing its zipper - I peeled back pieces of shell to help the zip along then put it back in the incubator.
12 hours later and no progress so I helped it hatch. The shell came off easily with no issue. Now the chick is just laying in the incubator, breathing and making noise but not standing after an hour. Do I wait? Do I syringe feed water (or water with electrolytes?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 31
Chick still had not hatched after 30 hours and was not making progress, first I tried to help by continuing its zipper - I peeled back pieces of shell to help the zip along then put it back in the incubator.
12 hours later and no progress so I helped it hatch. The shell came off easily with no issue. Now the chick is just laying in the incubator, breathing and making noise but not standing after an hour. Do I wait? Do I syringe feed water (or water with electrolytes?)
i would wait 12 hours after hatching before worrying about the chick they are really tired after hatching (whether you help or not)
i remember i had to help my duckling hatch and she was flat out (like your chick) after she hachted at 9pm ish but the next morning she was trying to walk and looked much more alive, if your chick is still breathing well i woud not worry, if your chick reaches 12 hours old and is still not up then that is when i would worry and give her sugar water
I will say that your chick still might not make it so keep that in mind
I had a duckling that I helped to hatch and after 12 hours she was still flat out and sadly she did not make

good luck hope your chick makes it

oh and if your chick is peeping then don't forget to talk to your chick it will calm your chick down
if your chick is peeping then she/he is scared
she/he just went from complet darkness and quiet muffled noises to light and loud noises i know i would be scared if that happened to me
good luck

oh and if your chick is peeping then don't forget to talk to your chick it will calm your chick down
if your chick is peeping then she/he is scared
she/he just went from complet darkness and quiet muffled noises to light and loud noises i know i would be scared if that happened to me
good luck
Thank you for all the advice! We are all preparing for the chick to not survive but are hopeful :)
It is trying to move around more so maybe we will get lucky!

Back
Top Bottom