Help! Egg in lockdown - brown/yellow liquid drops coming out!!

Yech....
To avoid this in the future...try candling before lockdown or the time to transfer from turner to no turner. When you candle you will see that chick area is liquid..moving when turned in a slightest turn... this is a "rotten egg". Gases build up and the egg can explode or open.
Not sure what to do to clean the incubator now... I know I have tilted my incubator carefully to get water out.... might work for the egg gunk.
Good luck!!!

Remember that if an egg is leaking it cannot explode because it cannot build up pressure. This is a fundamental law of physics, so dont panic about leaky eggs. just remove them when you are certain they are dead, or just leave them in knowing that they cannot explode and it may have been water from another source.

To clean the smell out of an incubator use vinegar. cleaning vinegar is very cheap and will kill the germs that are causing the smell after an explosion. Unplug the mains power first of course. The whole incubator can be opened for a little while, half hour perhaps for cleaning, as hens get off their nests, but I do not recommend it really. just ADD vinegar a tablespoon at a time and dont open the incubator for more than a minute would be best rules to keep the temperature from spiking.

vinegar is good to kill all smells and its so safe you can eat it.

This thread is seven years old, so I'm not sure how it got bumped up, but just case future readers check it out:

The egg was dead and was rotting, and some of the rotting egg was leaking out of the pores due to the pressure of the gas building up inside. That's a very, very bad egg.

The leaking was reducing the pressure inside but if it didn't leak enough to keep up with the amount of gas that was building up in the egg from the rotting, it definitely could have exploded. Think of it this way, if you're filling a balloon with air, and it has a pinprick hole in it, yes, some air is leaking out, and yes, some pressure is being relieved. But if you're filling it with more air at a faster rate than air is leaking out, pressure is still building, and eventually it's going to pop.

Worse, the rotten egg leaking out would be a breeding ground for bacteria, especially in the warm, moist environment of an incubator, and could have compromised the other eggs and contaminated them with bacteria. That could have caused the other eggs to die due to bacterial contamination. For this reason, a leaking, oozing egg like that should NEVER be left in an incubator. It could contaminate and kill the other eggs.

It's especially true that you don't want such an egg in there right at hatch time - the last thing you want in an incubator full of newly hatched chicks with navels that might not be all the way closed is bacteria-laden rotten egg. That's a good way to end up with chicks that have yolk sac infections.

In this case you definitely want to open the incubator to remove the egg. You can open the incubator during lockdown and it won't hurt the hatching chicks. You just shouldn't do it without a good reason. This definitely qualifies as a good reason.

Last edited:
I candled my eggs last night since tonight was lock down. I had one that seemed fine last night but didn't look all that healthy when I candled it. When I came home from work tonight and took them out of the auto turner I noticed one had the same type of drops yours has. When I removed the turner to place everyone else in the bater this one wouldn't come out. It has glued itself to the turner. It broke open when I finally managed to get it out of the turner. OMG the smell was over powering. It was definitely rotten and I'm glad I got it out before the hatching. Rotten eggs are a health risk for the rest of your eggs.

Naa naa, you're wrong actually. That goo oozing out of the egg is a sure sign it's going to be a zombie chicken. The fact that the thread is seven years old is proof the chicken killed the owner soon after, how else can these things be explained I ask you. Yep, clear case of zombie chick. classic beginner mistake, getting killed by your zombie chicken. Better luck next life.

People like you really upset me, I find nothing amusing about another tragedy, sure, you might not have known them personally and neither did I, but having your brain eaten is for a few of us who have brains, a real fear. A very real fear. To say nothing of what the ordeal of being a newly created or now seven year old zombie does for your social life. People who USED to be your friend say poorly expressed things about your personal hygiene, people stop inviting you to pool parties, oh heck I'm not going into it now, suffice to say this is no laughing matter. You are so cruel.

For those amongst us who ARE concerned you should make certain that you follow government recommendations at the very least. The Government center for disease control (CDC) advocates minimal preparations, which do not go far enough as this latest discovered tragedy illustrates.

Here is the government link for the CDC website.
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Back
Top Bottom