//Help// Egg Peritonitis? Or Egg bound?

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My soon to be a year old Black Australorp is feeling under the weather.
Her abdomen feels hard and she is looking lethargic. I actually saw her vomit a little foggy liquid. She is in a position as if she is pushing something out.

I have been finding small soft shell eggs a lot, but not everyday. Although I once saw her lay one right infront of me.

I provide them with crushed eggshells as a source for calcium. I am now going to give her a bath in epsom salt.

Her feet are also swollen, but they are like that since a few months. I suspect she has bubblefoot so the epsom salt bath will help her with that as well.

Attachments

• 20210710_191246.jpg
    20210710_191246.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210710_191050.jpg
    20210710_191050.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 16
My soon to be a year old Black Australorp is feeling under the weather.
Her abdomen feels hard and she is looking lethargic. I actually saw her vomit a little foggy liquid. She is in a position as if she is pushing something out.

I have been finding small soft shell eggs a lot, but not everyday. Although I once saw her lay one right infront of me.

I provide them with crushed eggshells as a source for calcium. I am now going to give her a bath in epsom salt.

Her feet are also swollen, but they are like that since a few months. I suspect she has bubblefoot so the epsom salt bath will help her with that as well.
I checked her vent and I could not feel an egg. But rather a muscle/tissue above the vent.

I checked her vent and I could not feel an egg. But rather a muscle/tissue above the vent.
I lubricated her with olive oil and helped het push it out... she first excreted some clear liquid. And now she gave a shell less egg. Her abdomen still feel hard. The egg yolk was extremely big. @Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• JPEG_20210710_201056_2903976380704488105.jpg
    JPEG_20210710_201056_2903976380704488105.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210710_200548.jpg
    20210710_200548.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210710_201347.jpg
    20210710_201347.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 22
You cannot expect someone from out in the internet wilderness to know if your hen has EYP or why a hen has a hard abdomen. We can add up clues and conclude they may point to this or that. The clues your hen has given point to egg binding that could involve two eggs because by the law of averages, it often involves two eggs.

If your hen has ever had an egg collapse inside her, she could have EYP. Again, law of averages. If you have never seen evidence of an egg collapsing inside your hen, she probably doesn't have EYP. But if she has a second egg that is now collapsing inside her, she will probably develop EYP unless she is treated with an oral antibiotic. This is why I urged you to keep an eye out for a second egg. If it appears and it has broken yolk, she would need an antibiotic immediately.

You cannot expect someone from out in the internet wilderness to know if your hen has EYP or why a hen has a hard abdomen. We can add up clues and conclude they may point to this or that. The clues your hen has given point to egg binding that could involve two eggs because by the law of averages, it often involves two eggs.

If your hen has ever had an egg collapse inside her, she could have EYP. Again, law of averages. If you have never seen evidence of an egg collapsing inside your hen, she probably doesn't have EYP. But if she has a second egg that is now collapsing inside her, she will probably develop EYP unless she is treated with an oral antibiotic. This is why I urged you to keep an eye out for a second egg. If it appears and it has broken yolk, she would need an antibiotic immediately.
Sorry for my impatience. I hold this hen very dear to me. She has never had an egg collaspe inside her. She just gives soft,small eggs here and there. You know the tiny, deformed eggs with really weird bumpy shell? I saw her pass that egg once.

Should I treat her and the flock with this medicine, just in case?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-004719_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20210711-004719_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 24
Is your hen behaving sickly? Lethargic? Yellowish, runny poop? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, that's a good antibiotic to use if you suspect EYP. But I wouldn't treat the entire flock. EYP isn't contagious, and there would be no reason to treat chickens that are well.

Is your hen behaving sickly? Lethargic? Yellowish, runny poop? If the answer is yes to any of those, then yes, that's a good antibiotic to use if you suspect EYP. But I wouldn't treat the entire flock. EYP isn't contagious, and there would be no reason to treat chickens that are well.
She is not behaving sickly. She is walking just fine. But she did give a clear watery poo with a little yellow. And after that somewhat solid, in beads yellow poo with a little lime green. Should I still give her antibiotic?

Back
Top Bottom