help, egg pipped backwards, kinda

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinkado, May 10, 2011.

1. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    hey all, so after fretting alot, 1 of my 3 duck eggs, finally pipped, but, not the way i was expecting, he did it near the pointy end, now, he was the one with less movement and i know he didnt break the membrane, these little fellas are testing me, hee heeim going to break the membrane where he pipped if he dont , but i will wait a while, seewhat he do

2. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I do not know, I am a beginner, but I just had 7 chicks hatch a week ago; the first one pipped near the point end. It was the cutest of all of them, but it just died today. It did not grow any, and I watch it eat and drink and poop. It also could not stand up very long, or very good. This is from my only hatch experience, round two in now. I hope you have different results, I do not know if it had to do with the chick being inverted or not.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I would wait a while and see how he does. It's always best not to fiddle with things at this stage.

Good luck!

4. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    well the chick is def backwards, lol, so the poor thing, i felt bad, you see last night it was active, and today, not so much, i feel bad for it, coz it couldnt break the membrane, though it cracked the shell, but not the membrane, so i very very gently did it, just a tiny slit, tiny tiny, and sure enough, one huge breath and now its resting
    as for the other two
    they both poked there heads through to air sack early last night, but nothing more, so i left them be, now its nearly 24 hours and nothing more, and the scritching and calling had slowed down, i feel it was the fact that twice the electricity died, first time was at 11 days the second was a day and a hlaf ago, soo the humiditydropped and i think it dried them out a bit, sooo, i gave them both a weee help, making the peep hole, you wanna see them, wriggilig about now, calling out, one is yawning too soo cute, so now, i will watch making sure there ok, sooo, who wants to stay up all night with me?, coz im gonna be here a while

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Here's my take on "helping" chicks or ducklings out of the shell: When you do so, you allow individuals who are weak/inferior examples of their breed to be born. When a hen/duck sets on eggs, she never helps chicks/ducklings hatch. Those that hatch, are strong enough to go on in life. Those that don't, were not meant to.

I know that sounds cold. But after helping chicks out for the first several years of hatching, and winding up with chicks that had problems, died, needed to be culled, or were puny runts that never grew, it's just not something I do any more. The mammas know what to do, and we should emulate that.

My rule is, once they're in the hatcher, leave it alone for at least 48 hours. Do not open. Do not fiddle. Do not touch. Look all you want, but do nothing.

Then, after the majority have hatched, take them out, leave any eggs in there for another 24 to 48 hours, but do not help anything out of the shell. After that time, discard any unopened eggs, as they aren't going to hatch anyway, and the chicks inside them are dead (for whatever reason.)

Nothing worse than having helped a chick out of the shell too early and having it bleed out and die in front of your eyes, or have to cull it the next day because it is deformed. I just won't do that any more...

6. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    well heres my update, and im doing it with bleary eyes from a long night up, so excuse the spelling mistakes,
    so, first to ducky one, who was piped but not able to zip, i made the hole a bit bigger after realising my poor duckys were having humidity problems, and pur him back in, all looked good, he was becoming more active and calling to me, then the second one, had broken membrane but again, humdity made it an issue, so i wrapped the egg in a warm J wet Jcloth, and after 6 hours i made hima little hole, so he didnt suffocate,
    and the bacwards one, well he was wedged, i mean like the poor thing, couldnt move an inch, i think he was to big for his shell, so i very genlty opened him up a bit, so he could breath and maybe move a bit better, i noticed he was lying a bit funny in the egg, and wasnt absorbing the yolk, so with very very gentle moving a tilted him a bit left in the egg and put him back, didnt look to promising, he hadnt moved in over 24 hours,
    so, egg one, made a good hatch, even though i helped, i left some work for him
    egg two, was out like a flash, but still connected to the egg, so i very gently put him in a warm towel to finish absorbing all he could without the other one yanking the egg off,
    backward chick stayed in the egg for another 8 hours, then i checked and seen he was trying to move out of the egg, so i got warm wer towels and dampened him down, coz he was all sticky
    now, when they all came out, i though, oh god, the yolk didnt absorb, but, i did dsome reasurch, and just seems, they come out of the egg with a fat belly, weird looking , but i could see skin over the lets say bubble,but nothing leaking from them, no blood, no yolk

i now have an incubator with 3 fluffy sticky tired chicks who are pipping away, and the fat belly has been covered by pooofy feathers
    2 are preening eachother, and falling asleep, like its, oh preeeeeee snoreeee, hahha,
    so i am glad i helped, i waited till i saw them weakening, and i didnt pull them from there eggs, just, made a little hole and watched, and them after about 4 hours, made it a big bigger

so i am the proud mommy of percy, paddy pat, hee he, dont know if there boys but trust me, its funny to me, as there named after friends who look like them, haha
    thank you all for adivse, i will be incubating about 100 phesant eggs soon and will let ye know how i do, as for the 3 Ps, i will get pics up once they wake up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by