Help egg still attached

Owen England

Hatching
Feb 24, 2015
he had broke a small hole in the egg for around 2 days and made no progress so I went ahead an helped him out, all the yolk has gone but his umbilical cord is still attached? What should I exapect to happen ?

There is a reasonable chance it won't survive, it wasn't fully ready to hatch. You can't rush nature.

Wipe the yolk and navel with Betadine or iodine, and place on a sterile non stick gauze pad in a deep cup or bowl in the brooder, not directly under the lamp as the cup will trap heat. Then wait.

I had the same thing happen a few days ago with a duck egg....I ended up taking him out and he still have some yolk sac attached...I wrapped him in warm wet paper towels and left him in the bator, kept the paper towels moistened and him wrapped, opened and checked on him and turned him over to change his position and re wrapped for 2 days until the yolk finally absorbed and he started moving around, I unwrapped him and he is doing great. So it is possible to save them. Good Luck!

he's now walking around and the umbilical cord is twisting around and not as pink!! He's doing really well, he's been in the incubator now since around 7pm last night, should he be in the brooder now?

I would not move him to the brooder until he is detached from the shell. If the membrane does not disconnect itself after a time, once it is dry but not crisp you can snip it about 1/2" from the navel and move to the brooder.

I would not move him to the brooder until he is detached from the shell.  If the membrane does not disconnect itself after a time, once it is dry but not crisp you can snip it about 1/2" from the navel and move to the brooder.
Okay thanks

I was just looking at the dulckling running around and I've notice three other eggs have cracked the egg however two of the three have cracked at the skinny end of the egg!!! Is this bad or normal, there air cell is on the other side ?

I was just looking at the dulckling running around and I've notice three other eggs have cracked the egg however two of the three have cracked at the skinny end of the egg!!! Is this bad or normal, there air cell is on the other side ?
Having a malepositioned chick/duck isn't unusual, having multiples in one hatch point to a problem during incubation. According to the assisted hatching page, these are the most common reasons for malepositioned babies:
Common reasons of Malpositions are:
Eggs are set with small end up.
Advancing breeder hen age and shell quality problems.
Egg turning frequency and angle are not adequate.
Inadequate % humidity loss of eggs in the setter.
Inadequate air cell development, improper temperature and humidity regulation, and insufficient ventilation in the incubator or hatcher.
Imbalanced feeds, elevated levels of mycotoxins, and vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
Lower than recommended temperatures in the last stage of incubation.

Back
Top Bottom