HELP! Egg stuck outside of my duck!

Kathy & Speckledhen,

After reading up on it a bit and reading of very 'iffy' outcomes, we have decided to put our duck down. There is a poultry processing facility not to far that is still open and said they can process her if we leave now. I wanted to let you know so that you won't keep racking your brains trying to help me. It is hard for me to eat my poultry but we have too many drakes per hen ratio and since she just started laying, they are a good age for processing. I really loved these ducks but I need to learn to not get attached to them since my original intent was as egg and meat birds... but it is so hard to not get attached!

Thanks again!
Jennie
I'm so sorry. Sometimes, there really is not a good solution to things like this. Wish it could have turned out differently for your poor girl. You're right, so hard to be detached from them because they insinuate themselves into your heart so easily. I have several who are almost ten years old, just lost two who were that age and have several more, so yes, I'm very attached to them, but we have to give ourselves a break when we know we've done what we could in an emergency and could not help. You did what you could and you didn't allow her to suffer. That's the sign of a good and responsible owner.

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help through my ordeal. It was very reassuring to know you were there for advice and moral support. Backyard chickens is such a wonderful resource for the chicken hobbyists and I am very grateful for it.
Sincerely,
Jennie

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help through my ordeal. It was very reassuring to know you were there for advice and moral support. Backyard chickens is such a wonderful resource for the chicken hobbyists and I am very grateful for it.
Sincerely,
Jennie

You are very welcome, Jennie. There are times when I can offer information or moral support, but often I do wish I could really help in a more tangible way that the internet doesn't allow. I know others feel the same way I do about that. The thing is, so many issues with ducks and chickens are simply not fixable by human hands. Hope to see you around the forum in the future. And here's hoping you never see anything like that again!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom