1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Eggs Fertile For First Time!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I've incubated SEVERAL eggs in the past with an incubator, and they have hatched, but this is the first time that my own button quail has fertile eggs. I candled them and to my surprise they had LIVE heartbeats inside!!!

The problem is, now that I touched them, will she sit on them?!?! She hasn't shown ANY interest in them after I touched it!!!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quail very rarely brood - whether or not you touch them makes no difference. An incubator is your best friend here....

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:very true....BUT! it seems that buttons get broody much more often then other quails i've read about

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Usually when you mess with a very broody button and put the eggs back in and turn around, she is sitting back on them. You can test it and see if she goes back onto her nest or incubate them yourself but it's a risk to give them back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by