Help! Elector psp alternative?????

Oh gosh, you're right! The print on the label was so small, I missed a 0! That's what I get for rushing out to buy something before closing on NYE. Should I wait and return it on Tuesday?

Oh gosh, you're right! The print on the label was so small, I missed a 0! That's what I get for rushing out to buy something before closing on NYE. Should I wait and return it on Tuesday?
I would return it and get some 10% permethrin spray from Tractor Supply. If your chickens have mites really bad and are in danger of dying, go to Walmart and get some sort of permethrin spray, like something maybe from the camping section.

So, I did get the stronger concentrate Captain Jack's and have tried it a few times now. My impressions are that it helps, but I have to reapply every 3 weeks or so. From what I read, spinosad affects the mites' nerve systems, so it takes a few days to work, and I don't think it eliminates their eggs. It also may be that my coop design makes it hard to eradicate an infestation, since I have a dirt floor and one wall is hardware cloth. Plus, one of my hen has trouble grooming herself.
I didn't go with permethrin, because it's toxic to cats and I have one, plus neighbor cats like to visit my yard.
Anyway, with the Captain Jack's plus weekly d.e. dusting, the infestation is under much better control, but not totally gone. Everyone is dealing with the mites pretty well at the current level, so I'm not seeing any reason to bring in more-toxic tools, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this path to everyone.

I bought the .01% spray; but I did it after figuring out the dilution you had recommended was about 1:4, and .01 is 1:5 of .05, and that seemed close enough! Yeah, I did the math earlier with Elector PSP's concentration, and you're correct that it's hugely more concentrated - about 1000 times! But, since you only need to use 2 tsp once, it seems overkill to buy it and keep it around. I'll try this and see how it goes. Personally, I'd rather err on too dilute, as I also keep bees (though I read that the bees should be fine if don't come in contact with product within 3 hours of application.
But, I have another question: My mite infestation was quite bad. I applied a bunch of DE and also gave some of the birds some drops of my cat's "Revolution" two nights ago, before reading about spinosad. I saw significantly fewer mites today. Should I wait before applying the Captain Jack's, or go ahead and give it a try, since I am doubtful I could have eradicated them and I really don't want them biting me anymore, let alone the chickens?!
I have had wonderful success using the Captain Jack's concentrate for Lice last year -I diluted one part concentrate (.5 %) to 3 parts water to get a .1 % solution. I had tried EVERYTHING else and nothing had worked to eliminate them. This includes my birds dust bathing in the yard daily, treatments with DE, and scrubbing down and dusting the coop. With Captain Jack's concentrate diluted appropriately it was one application and they were gone! None of my birds had any ill effects. I seem to now have mites on a few of my birds, so going to do another treatment. It IS important to mix the dilution fresh each time, as Spinosad is not stable in plain old water long term. Hope this helps! Happy spring everyone...

This worked great for me last year and completely eliminated the Lice that had been plaguing my flock. I had tried many other remedies and wound up getting Captain Jack's CONCENTRATE (.5%) because Elector PSP wasn't available soon enough due to supply chain issues during COVID.

I used 1 part Captain Jack's to 3 parts water to make a .1% solution. I sprayed the coop and each bird and that was it! No lice since then. (Yay).

Unfortunately now I seem to have mites on a few of my girls! (Ewwwwww) so pulling out my concentrate to make up a fresh solution. From what I understand spinosad (the compound in Captain Jack's and Elector) is not stable in plain old water. Also, this is considered organic, which is important to me, as I feed only organics and don't use any other chemicals on my birds or my yard.

Hopefully it will work for you too!

This worked great for me last year and completely eliminated the Lice that had been plaguing my flock. I had tried many other remedies and wound up getting Captain Jack's CONCENTRATE (.5%) because Elector PSP wasn't available soon enough due to supply chain issues during COVID.

I used 1 part Captain Jack's to 3 parts water to make a .1% solution. I sprayed the coop and each bird and that was it! No lice since then. (Yay).

Unfortunately now I seem to have mites on a few of my girls! (Ewwwwww) so pulling out my concentrate to make up a fresh solution. From what I understand spinosad (the compound in Captain Jack's and Elector) is not stable in plain old water. Also, this is considered organic, which is important to me, as I feed only organics and don't use any other chemicals on my birds or my yard.

Hopefully it will work for you too!
Did you spray the mixed solution directly to the chicken?

Back
Top Bottom