HELP!Electricity out for 3.5 hours eggs at 79F for 1.5hs is it ruined?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
Beleive it or not, this morning a turkey got tangled up in the telephone wires and coused the electricity to go out for 3.5 hours [bless its little soul!].I did my best to keep the eggs warm by covering the incubator with towels, but it still dropped to 79 degrees!After an hour I put some boiling water in canteens and placed them in the bator, this raised the temp to 96 degrees. Will my chickens still hatch?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I think they will be ok--- if the temp drop was not at 79 for a really long time the nthey should be fine---a broody hen will get off of the nest for 20 mins or so a day to eat and poop so it could probably get that low in nature and be fine. Good Luck--keep us posted.
big_smile.png

They very likely may be fine, so don't give up on them. I've had hens pushed off the nest and eggs cooled to 45°F for an hour or more and they hatched just fine. Might take a little bit longer, is all.
smile.png

The bator is warming up again and is now at 99.2Fwith 56% humidity.The eggs are 3 days old and and all 9 have healthy embryos so far!!!Thanks so much for all the positive comments!
smile.png

P.s 5 of the eggs have detached air cells.Can they still hatch,should I prop those ones up the last 3 days?Any comments will help,thanks!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
My electric was out ten hours I walked the incubator across the street they were on a seperate line about a 100 yards had a great hatch -- You have hope ---

You may want to read this info https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113681&p=3 about humidity, yours sounds like it's too high for the early stages. 55% is what it should be the last 3 days. I linked the 3rd page of the thread, the top post on that page (by Wheaties) I found particularly helpful.

When I tried incubating with humidity as high as you have, I lost all but 1, out of 13. There may have been other factors, but when I incubated at lower humidity prior to that, I had much better hatches. I have a batch cooking now, starting humidity staying around 27%-28%.

I've never had one with a detached air cell. Are your eggs in an auto turner, laying sideways, or what?

In my turner, the eggs are placed upright.

My eggs are just laying on the wire on the bottom of the bator, I turn them at 7 A.M,5 P.M, and 9 P.M.The reason the air cells are detached is because I had them shipped from Murray Mcmurray.

P.s humidity in the 50s works great for me, I raise it to 63% the last 3 days:D

The night of Christmas we lost power for 14 hours,the eggs had just been put in a couple of days before and 21 out of 24 hatched out...so just keep them in there and hope for the best

Back
Top Bottom