HELP- Emu deformities.

Whoa . . . here we go.

I have nothing to say about incubation.

But if you find member 'Supreme Emu,' that 's me. My posts go way back. And in the threads over years have been repeated conversations about inbreeding in the U.S. emu gene pool: it's been illegal for decades to export emus from Oz, so . . .

The issue in the history of the posts here was splay leg. Now, my perspective is emus in the wild. My thought was: could we get enough data to compare splay-leg frequency in U.S.-incubated chicks with wild chicks here in Rothschildi territory? I doubt it. At least it would take years of data-collection. But there seemed to be a lot of folks with incubated chicks with splay leg.

P.s.: on a cheery note: don't know about the beak problem; but we had a one-eyed wild emu under observation here for months. His name was 'Audacious Emu,' and he was a survivor! When I first observed him through the binos, I could see he carried his head tilted, but it took me some time to figure out he was one-eyed. A one-eyed emu can live an okay life.

Supreme Emu

That is very good to hear about the one eye thing. We were quite worried. As for the beak we have been training it with tape. We did it full time for the first couple days when it still had its yolk sac and now it just gets done at night. It’s starting to straighten but we just aren’t sure about it for the long term. Hoping we can get it better than it is now.

The beak deformity and one eye can definately be from issues with turning, temps, and/or humidity. The cloudy eyes not so much. That's either genetic or a deficiency that has caused poor eye development. Did you see the adult birds at the farm? Just wondering how they looked and what the housing conditions were like for them. That chick wasn't bor. with the infection. If bacteria was in that egg it would affect more than just the eyes. Sounds like a breeder whom doesn't want to even dream something bad could be in their breeding gene pool. The chick doesn't look blind so hopefully a well balanced diet and some love will keep what vision it has.

Thank you for your feed back. I did not see the farm or adults- but I recently learned that humane society has been called to this farm on more than one occasion. After purchasing my eggs, I asked questions about my eggs and if they were from the same birds- as I was hoping that they were from different bloodlines so that I could breed. I should never assumed because I learned that they were not and the breeder had no knowledge on the impacts of inbreeding. For all I know the pair are related. I am going to love the deformed little one and do all that I can. I hope to find a breeder that will sell me some eggs that is experienced.

How sad about the babies with deformities . Worse still that the breeder must have known there were problems with her stock and didn't care. Hope they both survive to have a happy semblance of life.

Back
Top Bottom