HELP!!!! ESCAPED QUAIL!!--GOT HIM!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoyoteMagic, May 24, 2008.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I was watering my quail and one escaped. I wouldn't be too worried EXCEPT this is one of my males!!! I only have 2!!

Anyone know how to build a "quail funnel"? or have success in catching quail that have escaped?

I tried my best. Even gave my neighbors a show in the process. I didn't have anything to throw over him to catch him with, the dog was walking around trying to get to him, there was one of my 2 cats close by so...........

I yanked off my shirt (I'm a "big" girl) and slowly followed him around the quail/playhouse coop. After the 2nd time around I got him where I could get a good shot at him, through my shirt and pounced. So did the dog and the cat and off flew the quail. Last I saw him, he was headed for the dogwoods at the back of the property with the cat in hot pursuit.

Not sure if the neighbors saw anything or not, wasn't watching for them. The cops haven't showed up so I guess I'm in the clear.

HELP!! How do I get my quail back?!

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    The sounds ofthe others will bring him back .

I had the same thing happen . It was duck and i whent to my rabbit hitch where i had my quail . Well i didnt relise my dog was under the hutch and as soon as i opened the door she moved and spooked 2 of my quial and they fle out . I let them be and about an hour i went back with a flash light and they were huttled in a little ball under the hucth so i netted them . They cant se at night so maybe you can do the same thing . He will be back

Good luck

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You see that little opening on the side of that cage? I need to know how to make one, or just how big to make one. I've got all the wire. Just don't know how big to make it and not let the rest of them get out!

5. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I don't think it's much more than a tunnel made so that it expands as the quail moves through and curled enough to close on its own once the bird is through. I think all you need to do is get a little bit of hardware cloth and curl it enough so that it fits the mouth of a cage and fasten it once you can push your hand through it or a small ball better yet so you can see if it closes once it's through. When you have that place a female in the cage and that should covince him to come home and try to explore the cage.

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive had them escape on me, but i wait till it gets dark and they normally sleep right near the pen, theN i have a small net used for catching fish(fine mesh) once dark i take a flash to see a bit and wack getum in the net..I dont like to chase them as im always affraid theyll fly off and not come back..or hold up in heavy brush where you cant get at them..

Hope you catch the little bugger...

Charlie

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I GOT HIM!!!!!! There he was like ya'll said he would be. Didn't have a net (gotta get me one) I did have a beach towel. Took me 3 tries but I GOT HIM!! They are strong little buggers. Kept trying to get away from me in the towel.

Got him and didn't have to strip totally neked to do it!!! [​IMG]

ps--searched and searched got a short blip about making a quail funnel. 6 inch outside opening, 4 inch inside, angled up inside so it has to jump down into the pen from the funnel.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  8. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    LOL that is so funny. Glad you got your bird back though.

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm pretty sure you'll see him trying to get back inside the quail pen before you know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by