Help! Explosive Diarrhea!

ashleyblair

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Hi! My 8 month old Pekin has been having explosive diarrhea about a week now :/ is there anything I can give her? I had just taken her to the vet 2 weeks ago because she was egg bound and they prescribed antibiotics, but they should be out of the system by now! The poo shoots 4-5 feet, is a huge mess and stinks terribly. I just want her to get better! Has anybody's duck had this problem before??
Thanks
big_smile.png

Hi! My 8 month old Pekin has been having explosive diarrhea about a week now :/ is there anything I can give her? I had just taken her to the vet 2 weeks ago because she was egg bound and they prescribed antibiotics, but they should be out of the system by now! The poo shoots 4-5 feet, is a huge mess and stinks terribly. I just want her to get better! Has anybody's duck had this problem before??
Thanks
big_smile.png
Never had this problem although they can shoot poop pretty far at times. Go to the feed store and get the packaged electrolytes with probiotics I know TSC carries them. you put it in their water. Antibiotics do cause upset tummy and it maybe just taking time to get the good bacteria working again so the probiotics with vitamins and electrolytes will help with the good bacteria. Please keep us updated.

and
welcome-byc.gif

Sounds more like cecal feces which tend to be dark in color and very liquid. Usually, they only cleanse the cecum once a day or so, depending upon diet.

Clint

Sounds more like cecal feces which tend to be dark in color and very liquid. Usually, they only cleanse the cecum once a day or so, depending upon diet.

Clint
So you don't think the antibiotics could be playing a part in this, sounds like it may not be the norm for this duck. I don't think some electrolytes/probiotics would hurt either way.

I think she's actually waiting until she comes out of her cage to poop! When we let her out of the pen every night, she walks right into the kitchen and it goes everywhere...I know they don't technically have the muscles to hold it in, but from the looks of it, she won't poop until she gets out of the pen, away from her eggs!

I think she's actually waiting until she comes out of her cage to poop! When we let her out of the pen every night, she walks right into the kitchen and it goes everywhere...I know they don't technically have the muscles to hold it in, but from the looks of it, she won't poop until she gets out of the pen, away from her eggs!
Again, sounds like cecal feces....same as a broody hen when she leaves the nest... The cecum are for fermenting vegetable matter, they have a lot of control of when they release the contents...

Clint

Back
Top Bottom