help fast!!!!!!!!

Carly08

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
help i needhelp fast i just found a ducklling that the ducks didnt want it was covered in ants we washed it off in water brought it inside dried him off and wrapped him in a rag when he breathes he also makes this popping sound what is that from also his head is bleeding what can i do about that

help i needhelp fast i just found a ducklling that the ducks didnt want it was covered in ants we washed it off in water brought it inside dried him off and wrapped him in a rag when he breathes he also makes this popping sound what is that from also his head is bleeding what can i do about that
First you need to provide some heat for the little one they can become hypothermia pretty quick..Might be having a reaction to the ant bites it affects the breathing.. Do you have any children's Benedryl? you can give the lil one a small amount with a stopper or needleless syringe. How old is the duckling? and I'll see if @casportpony is on she is good with meds and dosages.

i will check to see if i have the childrens benedryl it just hatched right now it is sleeping do you know what i could do about the bleeding

i will check to see if i have the childrens benedryl it just hatched right now it is sleeping do you know what i could do about the bleeding
How bad is it, are you talking about where it was attached to the egg sac or where the ants were biting it? Pressure can stop the bleeding need to know where it is bleeding. And not sure if I'd give CB to a newly hatched duckling.. Let me see if i can find help..

@casportpony We need help here.

@Orca5094 have you any experience with stopping blood in ducklings ? being you've work with rehabbing?

@Lacrystol has much experience in hatching ducklings with problems

Last edited:
the bleeding has mostly stopped but should i put him back with the other duclings he wont stand up but it is peeping

Do not put him back with the others until he is stronger. You'll want to keep him inside with you for at least a day or so to recover and get a little stronger. It's very important to get him fully warmed up and completely dry as soon as possible. Hair dryers on low setting work well for this, just make sure your hand is between the duck and the hairdryer so you can feel if it gets too hot.

Do you have a brooder box set up where he can live for now? He'll need heat (heat lamp is best) and a safe place to stay with food and water he can easily get to. Make sure he's not able to get into the water and get wet, ducklings chill very easily.

Putting pressure on a bleeding wound is always the best thing to do. You can also try a little corn starch on the wound to stop the bleeding faster.

As for the clicking when breathing, that is not a good sign. It could mean he has pneumonia, in which case he needs antibiotics asap. Are you still hearing the clicking when he breathes now?

also he is sitting up but not standing what does this mean should he be walking around

also he is sitting up but not standing what does this mean should he be walking around
Not necessarily it's hard work hatching and it could be 24 hrs or more before he is up. Best to just let it rest. and don't force feed or try to get it to drink they live off the yolk sac for a couple days and won't need to eat, you could try drizzling a little water on the side of it's bill tomorrow to entice it to drink a little.

I am not sure what antibiotics are safe for a newly hatched duckling, so wish @casportpony was on I always rely on her for meds info I'd just make sure the little one is warm and left in a quiet place for at least the first 24 hrs. Stuffed animal to cuddle with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom