Help - Favorite Rooster Sick - Marek's?? Botulism??

countrygirl74

Songster
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Northern Arizona
So, the day before yesterday, when I went out to feed, I noticed my beautiful big blue cochin "Monsoon" sitting and then when he tried to stand, he couldn't walk a straight line - like drunk. He could get to where he wanted to but not without zigzagging or falling. The past couple days I have been treating him indoors as if he had botulism as I just assumed that's what it might be since I lost 2 ducks in the past 6 weeks, thinking it was that also. This is the first time I have lost any of my birds in years!! Here is all the info...

1. Blue Cochin Roo, 3 years old - feels lighter than he should be but difficult to know because he's a giant fluffball!

2. Noticed on Tuesday, September 19th (today is Thursday, September 21) that he was sitting, and he usually is right next to me when I come in to feed. When he got up, he couldn't walk a straight line, staggered around as if drunk.

3. 2 days

4. No other chickens seem to be sick, but I did lose 2 ducks in other separate pens over the last 6 weeks. Their symptoms seemed to be different - no "drunk" staggering, just general not feeling well, not interested in treats, and ruffled feathers/squatting. Illness came on suddenly and they were dead within 2 days.

5. No sign of trauma but we do have a little frizzle rooster and they sometimes scrap a little

6. No known cause of this

7. Since I brought him in the house 2 days ago... 1st day he didn't eat much. Yesterday and this morning has eaten really well.

8. When I first brought him in the house, it was runny, watery - had some dark green and white. Yesterday and today it has been pretty solid.

9. Activated charcoal on the first day, molasses water the next day, colloidal silver today. All the time alternating with plain water with electrolytes and a little poly-vi-sol.

10. I hope to treat myself just due to $ for a vet. Problem is, I am supposed to go out of town this weekend and he needs round-the-clock care right now. I hate to put him down just because I have to leave town for work!

11. Out in the coop we use kiln-dried pine shavings and have for years. Conditions that could have brought on disease - hot temps, lots of rain and lots of flies that we are working on getting under control. However, their coop has been dry now for a couple weeks.

Please note - when I first brought him in the house, he was just staggering but by the end of the day he couldn't walk at all. If I lift him up and let him go, he just falls forward. He can only get around by flopping himself around by pushing off his legs. I have to set him up manually for him to lay properly and then I prop up his chest a little and put his food and water directly in front of him. He eats his food all on his own and seems to have a decent appetite but I have to hold the water dish right up to his beak (actually with his beak partly in the water) for him to sip any. If I wasn't there I don't think he could ever right himself to get his own food and water. He just sits on a towel on my floor. Sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he tries to go places but can't flop around too far. Sometimes he "clucks" and flaps his wings in protest if I pick him up and move him but no crowing in the am or anything.

Have no idea what's going on as he seems to fit some symptoms of botulism and some of Marek's and really not sure what the problem is - something different altogether? Would love some thoughts! I love this big boy - he is a pet - sweet huge boy. I've attached a video of him trying to get around this morning. It doesn't help that the floor is slippery but he would do the same thing on carpet.
0.jpg

Update on today...

Still can't stand at all or walk and if he tries to move, he pushes forward and almost does somersaults, but I think I am seeing some improvement!
He likes to move forward when he poops (still solid as of yesterday) and that's what messes him all up, but after a few tries, he can right him self to where he's laying down properly. I still don't think he would be able to get to his food and water on his own as he could end up spilling it all or in the middle of it all so I am hoping he gets better quickly to where I feel I could leave him.

He didn't seem to eat as much today as yesterday but seems more alert and holding his head up pretty well on his own. He also turns his head away and lets me know when he doesn't want me putting the water dish in his face.

I decided to give him a bath today - he was dirty from the previous diarrhea and not being able to move. He did pretty well - only protested a bit. And the really good sign to me is that he tried to do some preening.

I am just going to keep treating this as some kind of virus/bacteria/fungal problem and just try to kill anything I can. Today all I did was colloidal silver in his water. Tomorrow I might do some molasses for another flush. I also added some apple cider vinegar to his food.

I would still appreciate any other advice or especially if anyone else has gone through this and knows what it is and how to treat it. I did some more research and wondered about encephalitis of some sort??

It's so weird because he can use his legs to push himself around - it just seems he can only push forward and then lands on his face. He can also flap his wings although he doesn't seem to really try much - doesn't seem to be using them to help himself out much. I just know he can flap them when he protests at something I'm doing, like trying to move him or when I bathed him.

I just really hope he gets better!

Here's the good news update!!!

I had to leave town from Friday morning to Saturday night and debated on either leaving him in the house or leaving him outside in our "grow out" pen. I was hesitant on outside because the temps were going to dip but finally decided that he would be better off outdoors so he could see the rest of the flock through the fence. He could have lots of room to "flop" around and still work himself out and I put multiple shallow dishes of water and food around so he wouldn't fall into something deep. I also hoped that he could eventually get himself to the food and water because I would not be there to put it right in front of him.

When I left, he could do a slight "crawl" but was still somersaulting and ending up in all sorts of weird positions before getting himself in an upright sitting position.

I left him with electrolyte water - one dish with poly-vi-sol and the other with colloidal silver. When I got home tonight, I wasn't sure what I would find but to my surprise he was standing and walking around!!!! He is still a little wobbly so I will wait a little longer to put him back in the coop but between all those treatments, he is pretty much better!! I may never know what it was... toxin/botulism, Marek's, or what but it appears he is recovering and we got rid of whatever paralyzed him!

Maybe this info will help someone else?

Just updating again in case it helps someone. I put him back in the coop a few days after I returned. He seemed a little wobbly on his legs for about another week or so. I continued to alternate poly-vi-sol and colloidal silver in the water and he is completely fine now. He is back to normal! I know he wouldn't have survived if I hadn't taken him inside and took care of him but am so glad that it worked!

Back
Top Bottom