Help!! Female acting like a male

EARR

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2023
We had a make and female, we got 2 additional females to make the situation better for them. Original female is acting like a make now and her and original make are fighting,
I separated them both into their own area leaving the new girls together.
They are both making make calls from their individual enclosures.

Sexes were confirmed by our vet.

I am so confused, will she go back to normal?

We had a make and female, we got 2 additional females to make the situation better for them. Original female is acting like a make now and her and original make are fighting,
I separated them both into their own area leaving the new girls together.
They are both making make calls from their individual enclosures.

Sexes were confirmed by our vet.

I am so confused, will she go back to normal?
How old? Has the “female” ever layed an egg? Pictures of chest and back. I would vent check it just to be sure as sometimes they mature later.

Whenever you introduce new birds to your covey, there may be some territorial reactions from the birds that were already there. Just to confirm, we are talking about coturnix quail, right? The best ratio for them is one male to five hens, though three may be enough depending on the disposition of your male.

How big is your pen?
Do they have plenty of hiding places?
How did you introduce them?

If they are still fighting by this evening, you might try taking all of the birds out of your pen, clean and rearrange it, then put them all in at night. When they wake up it will be a new place for all of them and they will be on more equal footing.

Whenever you introduce new birds to your covey, there may be some territorial reactions from the birds that were already there. Just to confirm, we are talking about coturnix quail, right? The best ratio for them is one male to five hens, though three may be enough depending on the disposition of your male.

How big is your pen?
Do they have plenty of hiding places?
How did you introduce them?

If they are still fighting by this evening, you might try taking all of the birds out of your pen, clean and rearrange it, then put them all in at night. When they wake up it will be a new place for all of them and they will be on more equal footing.
These are button Quail

How old? Has the “female” ever layed an egg? Pictures of chest and back. I would vent check it just to be sure as sometimes they mature later.
We are unsure of age, we took them from a bad situation, I can say minimum 8 weeks old based on the about of time we have as them. Here are photos of thev2 acting like males.

Set up is 4 x 2 x 2

The 2 acting lake makes have been separated.

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3787.jpeg
    IMG_3787.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 8
Better photos

Attachments

• IMG_3798.jpeg
    IMG_3798.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 7
We are unsure of age, we took them from a bad situation, I can say minimum 8 weeks old based on the about of time we have as them. Here are photos of thev2 acting like males.

Set up is 4 x 2 x 2

The 2 acting lake makes have been separated.
They are probably both males but I have no idea about buttons

More photos
The ones in your "Better photos" post look like females. I would guess that they're staking out territory. Female buttons can be quite territorial.
they are making male noises and calls, and they are both mounting females when put in the same area. The brown one has rust colored vent feathers

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3813.jpeg
    IMG_3813.jpeg