*HELP* Male or Female??? Fighting to blood after entering new enclosure (15 mins after)

i187DatBush

Hatching
Sep 5, 2023
So, recently the vice principal of a school I teach at thought it would be a good idea to order his wife a dozen (supposedly female sexed) quails. After reaching some level of maturity they began fighting to an extent that he had to separate them, and I agreed to take two. I already have Silkies (both hens and roosters), so I figured worst case the quails would be dinner if I couldn't manage it (with them being comfortable as well).

As soon as I received them, I began to notice differences in the two quails behavior that reminded me of male/female attributes in my chickens. One (which is slightly lighter in color) is much more docile (I will call this one Jill). One is much stronger, will fight you if you pick him up to transport him from enclosure to enclosure, and appears to be aggressively mating (identical to the behavior seen when my very aggressive rooster mates) -- (I will call him Jack).

Both Jack and Jill both have feathers missing in the back of the head/upper neck area (which to me are indicative of mating). There has never been any behavior I have witnessed that appeared to be mutual combat. I am wondering if it is possible that they are both males playing by prison rules, or if I was mistakenly told they were both males under a false assumption from mis-sexed quails given to someone with less knowledge than me.

Finally, I finished their permanent enclosure today, and their behavior is the reason for this post. After placing them in the new enclosure, they seemed happy. They were able to find their nesting box, water, and food. They walked up and down a ramp inside which they seemed to enjoy. Jack raped Jill once, and all was well. My mom came over, and as I walked over to the new enclosure, Jack began getting aggressive towards Jill. It again looked like mating; however, I noticed Jack now has feathers on his neck missing as well, which prior to now was not the case. Jack chased Jill around getting more and more aggressive (even wouldn't stop when I attempted to intervene with my hand). It got to a point where I couldn't let them continue and removed both and placed them into separate cages.

I apologize for being new and possibly an irresponsible quail owner. I really did do my research, I do not have the money to have them sexed, and I am getting mixed responses on people's opinions. My chickens are happy and well taken care of, and I was really trying to keep these guys from the chopping block so any help is appreciated! Thanks Guys.

(Suspect 1: First two images with blue container in background)

(Suspect 2: Last three images in the black colored enclosure)

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 23
  • 12-F43-CB8-27-F3-4625-BC73-7-A05-AA28-A336.jpg
    12-F43-CB8-27-F3-4625-BC73-7-A05-AA28-A336.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 21
  • Q3.jpg
    Q3.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Q4.jpg
    Q4.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 25
Those are both males. Sometimes you can get a pair of males that will get along with each other, but this does not appear to be the case this time. If you want to balance the ratios, you will need about five females per one male.
They got along fine until the enclosure change than decided to have a fight to the death.

Back
Top Bottom