Help! fever, panting, wet vent, unable to stand

soliloquie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Everett, WA
I found my splash maran hen on the ground panting hard, unable to stand, and hot to the touch. I don't feel a bulge around her vent although it seems swollen and wet though not red . She hasn't laid any yet and is about 6 mos old. My roo has been randy lately, she does have have a peck sore at the base of her comb. Had a little mucous around beak but nostrils are clear and breath sounds unobstructed just labored. Any ideas?

I just finished doing a 25 min warm water soak which she seemed to relax during. Breathing seems normal and temperature seems back to normal but she is still lethargic and not able to stand. I was able to get her to drink a little and she had a normal if not liquidy poo. Any insights on my little Baby Poopoop?? I'm worried about the rest of the flock too. Or was my roo a little too aggressive??? Anyone experience anything similar before?

Soo, my little girl has become a woman. This is the most traumatic first egg experience I have ever been a part of. As of this morning she doesn't have the use of her legs back yet. I put her in a sling so she could stop thrashing around and she seems more content in the box. I have been giving her chick electrolytes and vitamins hoping that it will help and she has finally been willing to eat a little scratch and peck and scrambled egg. The egg has a shell although paper thin and barely hardened. Anyone with supplements they would suggest? My other girls are about two weeks younger than her and I really don't want a repeat.... All ideas appreciated!

Anyone out there? Ideas or not- is this post invisible? The leg thing is really confusing for me- can they damage nerves in the push out? Someone please let me know they can see this...

Anyone out there? Ideas or not- is this post invisible? The leg thing is really confusing for me- can they damage nerves in the push out? Someone please let me know they can see this...
The condition of the egg is not uncommon for new layers.but what does concern me is the paralysis in her legs. Does she show feeling if you touch bottom of her feet? This could be several things,it is possible she has some damage to nerves which are causing paralysis,possibly it could be a result of her being egg bound. Now that she has passed egg,if it is nothing serious she should start to improve.

You can give her oyster shells/crushed egg shells for added calcium.

Thanks for replying! I am giving her oyster shells with her food and I don't expect much from a first egg. I was actually surprised at how normal it looked other than the thin shell. I have her in a sling I made from some old undies. She can move her legs but they seem weak. She kinda uses them to push herself backward in the box. She will react a little when I touch her feet but I'm pretty handsey so she's used to me messing with her. It's kinda like she can't get her legs under her. Other than that she's alert and interested in what's going on around her.

Baby Poopoop is now able to raise herself onto her hocks and is back to being fiesty- she glared at and pecked the cat in the head when it got too close to her food. She is starting to try to raise herself all the way up but isn't quite there yet and has only been able to get up about three quarters of the way. I'm hoping she just got really weak and exhausted. However she is starting to pant and have temperature fluctuations again so I think there is another egg in the shoot. I hope that this is just a young hen's body working the kinks out and it gets easier with no lasting damage. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom