Help - fighting ducks head wound

Debby Duck

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
South Florida
I need to know if I'm doing things right with these misbehaving duck please.
So previously we separated our 4 fighting drakes in pairs of 2 where they could see each other but not interact. For the first 2 nights it went well. I was thrilled. But on the 3rd night, going through the coop cam the pairs were back at it. And I noticed an open wound on top the head of one last night. BTW they are Crested drakes. All we had was some bacterial ointment for humans so I put that on. I couldn't just leave it. And I'm wondering if I can treat and watch it if I get some Vetericyn? My ducks do not even like being handled by me much. So I can't image the stress of a vet. Also I might need to take another to see one because I think he might have conjunctivitis in one eye. The surrounding lid is pinkish and we are on 2nd day of treating with MicrocynAH, opthalmic gel for birds.

Last night we separated all 4, but we had to put 2 in the garage. We had to bring out the kiddie pen they were raised in and put a screen between those 2. It wouldn't be safe on the patio next to the coop. The 2 in the coop are separated by a screen as well. They don't like this at all, but they all ate this morning, swam in the lake and fought there too. I can't help them out there obviously.

This is the first mating season for them, at 10 months old. Any idea when things will slow down hormonally?! I can't believe we're back to having ducks in the garage. And then I have to add to their stress by trying to treat wounds and eye issues. I thought I was going to avoid all this when we rehomed the 2 females 🥴.

Wow. This was a lot. Sorry about that but I wanted to be thorough. Please let me know if there's anything I should be doing different.

Thanks

If I am understanding correctly you do not have females, but your drakes are fighting. I realize one was injured, and may need separated now, but my approach would be to keep them together because each time they are separated they will need to work out dominance again...more fighting. Breeding season will slowly fade, but will not be gone in domestic ducks until the snow flies

I need to know if I'm doing things right with these misbehaving duck please.
So previously we separated our 4 fighting drakes in pairs of 2 where they could see each other but not interact. For the first 2 nights it went well. I was thrilled. But on the 3rd night, going through the coop cam the pairs were back at it. And I noticed an open wound on top the head of one last night. BTW they are Crested drakes. All we had was some bacterial ointment for humans so I put that on. I couldn't just leave it. And I'm wondering if I can treat and watch it if I get some Vetericyn? My ducks do not even like being handled by me much. So I can't image the stress of a vet. Also I might need to take another to see one because I think he might have conjunctivitis in one eye. The surrounding lid is pinkish and we are on 2nd day of treating with MicrocynAH, opthalmic gel for birds.

Last night we separated all 4, but we had to put 2 in the garage. We had to bring out the kiddie pen they were raised in and put a screen between those 2. It wouldn't be safe on the patio next to the coop. The 2 in the coop are separated by a screen as well. They don't like this at all, but they all ate this morning, swam in the lake and fought there too. I can't help them out there obviously.

This is the first mating season for them, at 10 months old. Any idea when things will slow down hormonally?! I can't believe we're back to having ducks in the garage. And then I have to add to their stress by trying to treat wounds and eye issues. I thought I was going to avoid all this when we rehomed the 2 females 🥴.

Wow. This was a lot. Sorry about that but I wanted to be thorough. Please let me know if there's anything I should be doing different.

Thanks
Can you post a photo of the head wound? My veterinarian has had me use human antibacterial ointment without pain medication (ending in caine) before for my birds.

For conjunctivitis I believe the treatment is deep clean water for the bird to wash out their eyes, and terramycin ointment, but I think @Isaac 0 can advise you best on that one. When my crested gets an eye injury I take her to the vet and they give me eyedrops.

@Yardmom the ducks aren't truly separated, they have a see through barrier, do you still feel that way? They are together in a very small coop at night and free range a large area during the day.

I agree that you should prepare for things to not slow down hormonally for many months. I read about people complaining about their drakes all summer. Also be prepared for this to continue. Some members say the 4th year was their worst. Others say the first is. Your ducks are individuals.

Last edited:
If I am understanding correctly you do not have females, but your drakes are fighting. I realize one was injured, and may need separated now, but my approach would be to keep them together because each time they are separated they will need to work out dominance again...more fighting. Breeding season will slowly fade, but will not be gone in domestic ducks until the snow flies
😮😩Noo! Really? So keep the injured one separate and let the others fight? I don't know if I can stand that. 😩 One of the 3 that would be together is so docile. He tries to stay away from fighting and never attacks. My heart breaks for him. The other night after a fight, and the other 3 left him and went on fighting, he just lay there with his head and neck on the ground hoping they'd leave him alone I think.

Correct, no females just 4 drakes.

Can you post a photo of the head wound? My veterinarian has had me use human antibacterial ointment without pain medication (ending in caine) before for my birds.

For conjunctivitis I believe the treatment is deep clean water for the bird to wash out their eyes, and terramycin ointment, but I think @Isaac 0 can advise you best on that one. When my crested gets an eye injury I take her to the vet and they give me eyedrops.

@Yardmom the ducks aren't truly separated, they have a see through barrier, do you still feel that way? They are together in a very small coop at night and free range a large area during the day.

I agree that you should prepare for things to not allow down hormonally for many months. I read about people complaining about their drakes all summer. Also be prepared for this to continue. Some members say the 4th year was their worst. Others say the first is. Your ducks are individuals.
Oh boy. I was hoping this would be a spring time issue and that their first would be the worst.

I'll take a picture as soon as I can get them lured over. It's difficult to get them over early in the day, even with treats. I guess after being in all night they're to excited to be out and roaming. But I actually need to really try so I can put more ointment on him.

That's right I should have made that known, @Yardmom they are together all day in the lake.

Thank you.

Sounds like you have a good plan then. Hopefully those hormones will chill enough to stop the fighting soon. I hope your boys head is fine. I too have used ointment meant for humans on my birds. It seemed to help.

We had to go to them, but we did coax them out of the water and got some pictures. It was hard getting the wound in, and now I realized there are 2. In the third image the other one is under my finger to the left.

Attachments

• 20210416_120434.jpg
    20210416_120434.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210416_122554.jpg
    20210416_122554.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210416_120431.jpg
    20210416_120431.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 6
Since we had him in our reach we took a picture of the one with the eye infection. The goo around it is the gel I just put on. Not any discharge. It's are to see possibly. But the area around his eye is pinkish. It just looks different than usual. So we're acting sooner rather than later.
This one is my buddy. He always gives me neck nuzzles and cheek kisses. I hate that I have to pick him up and stress him out. This morning he pooped all over me 🤦🏼‍♀️.

Attachments

• 20210416_120746.jpg
    20210416_120746.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom