HELP - FIRST HATCH WORRIES!!

Jayhawks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Ok, so this is my first time ever hatching chicks! I’m pretty sure I’ve done everything right— I put them in the incubator on May 1st, used automatic egg turner, kept temp at 37.5 Celsius, humidity between 40-50% for the first 18 days. On Day 18 that night, I took out the egg turner & cranked up humidity to 65% with same temp. I have seen a tiny bit of rocking in 1 egg, other than that, I haven’t heard anything, no pipping & no movement from any of the others. I candled them before they went into lock down and there were no blood rings from what I could tell. My eggs were shipped to me from Meyer’s hatchery. Is it bad I’m not hearing any peeps & no others are rocking? I’m so afraid that none are going to hatch!!

N
But is it normal not to hear any sounds? Or will I definitely start hearing them?
Ok, so this is my first time ever hatching chicks! I’m pretty sure I’ve done everything right— I put them in the incubator on May 1st, used automatic egg turner, kept temp at 37.5 Celsius, humidity between 40-50% for the first 18 days. On Day 18 that night, I took out the egg turner & cranked up humidity to 65% with same temp. I have seen a tiny bit of rocking in 1 egg, other than that, I haven’t heard anything, no pipping & no movement from any of the others. I candled them before they went into lock down and there were no blood rings from what I could tell. My eggs were shipped to me from Meyer’s hatchery. Is it bad I’m not hearing any peeps & no others are rocking? I’m so afraid that none are going to hatch!!
I wouldn’t worry that much. I just got done hatching 10 chicken eggs 8/10 hatched. I had only one hatch on day 21 before that barley any movement or anything then he piped and hatched. Day 22 two hatched in the morning and 2 hatched later that night. Day 23 two hatched then too. One day 23 near the end of the day(try to think back to when you put the eggs in the incubator) 24 hour after you put them in the incubator that would count as day one the day you put them in counts as day 0 because they haven’t had a full days on development. if nothing is still happening end of day 23 I would candle them again feel for movement and look for blood vessels. Then make sure there aren’t any pips in the eggs if there are don’t do this. Look up float test in safari click on one of the vids. If you have any questions just ask. I gained a lot of experience this hatch from late hatches exposed yolk sacs having to help the chick hatch umbilical cords spradel syndrome and a lot more. Back yard chickens was here for me this hatch so I’m here for you.

Ok, now my other chick is having problems. She was born with spraddle leg and curled in toes. I’ve almost got the toes fixed and now I’m 99% sure she’s got a slipped tendon in her leg. I’ve been doing a TON of reading and have finally ended up with this pictures attached. I’ve cut a paper straw down to the length of the chicks leg & pulled the tendon back in place, securing everything with vet wrap. I’ve made a little chair for her to sit in, but she screams in the chair! She’s staying still and not using the leg when I lay her down on a heating pad. Should I still try to keep her in the chair? Side note: she is eating & pecking soft chick food when I hold it up for her and drinking when I offer, so I think she’s definitely got some fight left in her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 3
Be patient. I am on my third hatch. I have had them hatch anywhere from 18 days to 24 days. 21 days is a guide, just like 9 months is a guide for humans. Your babies will hatch. Wait.

But is it normal not to hear any sounds? Or will I definitely start hearing them?

Ok, I’ve had once chick start hatching at 8:00pm last night. It’s now 7:00am & it still hasn’t managed to free itself. Should I leave it alone/when should I intervene & help?

I left it alone & came back the next day and it was still stuck. I ended up helping her out (she was def shrink wrapped) & her poor little legs are just horrible. Spraddle leg and toes are curled up. I’ve managed to use a hairband and straw to create a sling to keep the legs together.. shes def interested in eating and drinking & is trying to stand up and walk straight on her own, so I’m not giving up on her yet!

Back
Top Bottom