Help! First time duckling and leg is bent backwards and can’t pitch on it? Does anyone know how to fix this please?

Sheryl148

Hatching
Jul 23, 2021
Poor little girl, does anyone know what exactly is wrong with her foot? If anyone knows what it is or how to fix it, we would be so grateful, just want to help the poor thing, she’s eating, drinking very lively, we’ve tried her in the water and she does swim but her leg is still not bending the right way?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 57
Poor little girl, does anyone know what exactly is wrong with her foot? If anyone knows what it is or how to fix it, we would be so grateful, just want to help the poor thing, she’s eating, drinking very lively, we’ve tried her in the water and she does swim but her leg is still not bending the right way?
@Goosebaby

I think she might have a slipped tendon, a vitamin deficiency, or both.

If you can get B vitamins, specifically B2 “riboflavin”that might be the issue, niacin deficiencies can cause lameness but from what I’ve read B2 deficiency tends to cause the foot to curl inwards like this, though of shes deficient in one of the Bs she’s likely deficient in the others so a B vitamin complex or something like Rooster Booster poultry cell would be beneficial. Vitamin C can help repair the vervous system which can help her too.

Here’s a guide to slipped tendons https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ped-tendon-in-chickens.1483713/#post-24728999

@Isaac 0 does this look like a slipped tendon?

From what I can see, it looks like a slipped tendon.
Birds that hatch with this deformity rarely improve regardless of supportive care, and nutritional therapy. Splinting the leg can sometimes work, but can usually only be performed directly after hatch when the leg is manipulatable; if you can twist the leg back into position with ease, this may be something to consider.
Several surgical resolutions have been described in some of the veterinary textbooks I have, but will be costly, and will still only provide a questionable prognosis.
Some folks have successfully raised these birds, but if the quality of life is being comprised euthanasia is the best route.

Our duckling was born with a leg that it couldn't move and foot seemed shrivelled. We began putting brewer's yeast, yes brewer's yeast in the chock starter. Within 4 days it began walking on it although stumbles alot, by one week it was totally normal. May have been niacin deficiency but we think it was in the shell in a weird position and didn't get good blood flow. I think niacin(brewer's yeast) did help some but maybe with time it would have healed on its own. We just didn't want to wait and see, so my suggestion is brewer's yeast. Certainly won't hurt. One cup per five pounds of food. Maybe just mix up 2.5 pounds food which is about 1/2 of a gallon ziplock bag and add 1/2 cup. Mix it well before each feeding because it settles in the bag due to powder form.

How old is the duckling? I have successfully fixed leg/foot deformities from hatch, but that was with booting the leg/foot immediately after hatch and putting the duckling on a supplement as soon as it was eating/drinking.

How old is the duckling? I have successfully fixed leg/foot deformities from hatch, but that was with booting the leg/foot immediately after hatch and putting the duckling on a supplement as soon as it was eating/drinking.
He/she is 4 days old now, the hock area looks like it’s not in the right place, I’ve seen the boot idea tried it but fell off need to find the right tape I used medical tape which wasn’t good enough, il get some b vitamins and some niacin, see if that helps, It’s got the feeling like it’s dislocated but I’m no expert, thanks for your help x

He/she is 4 days old now, the hock area looks like it’s not in the right place, I’ve seen the boot idea tried it but fell off need to find the right tape I used medical tape which wasn’t good enough, il get some b vitamins and some niacin, see if that helps, It’s got the feeling like it’s dislocated but I’m no expert, thanks for your help x
4 days might be a little too late for any home fixes and I would definitely recommend a vet if possible. However, if a vet is not an option blue painters tape is the best for booting. It holds stiff, stays on great and is gentil enough that doesn't peel skin off when you go to take it off.

Back
Top Bottom