Help!! First time hatcher worried about quail eggs!

I just hatched a few over a dozen a Couple of weeks ago. I assisted a couple that didn’t complete zipping and one that pipped and never zipped. It looked like it’s membrane had veins still After I finally removed part of top so I waited and waited. Finally after 24 hours I broke the shell away and there were no veins. Only some residual blood. What was odd is the yolk was not completely pulled into abdomin - only about half. This chick was icky with muck on it and could not stand or sit at all. It just laid strewn out in the incubator. It moved about like a penguin on its belly. all the other chicks were moved to brooder. i almost culled it but it started endlessly chirping and I put it with the others under a lamp. After about 2 hours I was expecting to remove a carcus but the crazy thing was trying to sit up. I tried to teach it to drink out of a bottle cap and it jumped out of my hand. I decided to leave it alone at that point. it took about 2 days to start getting balance about half decent. After another 2 days I couldn’t pick it out of the flock. I do have one that is way smaller than the rest now but I have no idea if it’s the same chick or not. I think if you have your heat right so the others don’t smother it, it might be best to just leave it alone. It seems like the others chirping perks them up. Or maybe trying not to get stepped on.

Hiii! Just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you that helped me take care of my first hatch!
All my little hatchlings are now 2 weeks old. But, the weak chick died 3 days after the hatch... I tried to syringe feed the little one, but one time my mum was feeding it and it suddenly collapsed, dead... Good news is that my other 6 have grown about 5x their original size! They have developed most of their feathers but their heads are still that of a chick’s 😂. Xx

Hiii! Just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you that helped me take care of my first hatch!
All my little hatchlings are now 2 weeks old. But, the weak chick died 3 days after the hatch... I tried to syringe feed the little one, but one time my mum was feeding it and it suddenly collapsed, dead... Good news is that my other 6 have grown about 5x their original size! They have developed most of their feathers but their heads are still that of a chick’s 😂. Xx
They sound right on schedule for their age. I’m sorry about the weak chick, some just don’t make it. I had a runt like the other person described and it seemed really bad off, like they had said, I kept expecting a dead quail, now at 7 weeks he’s the biggest. I just had one in my recent hatch that seemed ok except for curled toes, and he didn’t make it, he just wouldn’t eat and his toes had no nerve sensation. Even thought he seemed mildly poorly off and the other had seemed half dead, this one died and the other thrived, its all about their own will to live.

just for a knowlegde..a chick cannot drown inside the egg but only before day 14 when the humidity levels went up too highwhich can cause extra fluid build up inside the egg..so for quail i'd like to recommend you to partially dry hatch them..no water until day 14 and after that you can boost as high as you want where a chick is no more likely to drown at that stage..this is what i figured out from my research and looks like it's going to be true with my incubator..they're pre pip wiggling a lot😇

Back
Top Bottom