1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! flopping around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencity, Mar 30, 2008.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I noticed today that one of my chicks will kinda thump one of their legs while lying down. its almost like a dog scratching or like a rabbit thumbing his hind legs. then i have one that will lie down and end up on one side with the other leg kind sticking out. when i stand him up he walks fine. but he normaly takes off running when i try to pick him up and doesn't. they were all fine last night.

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    maybe dustbathing?

3. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    they are on news papper so there is nothing for them to dust bath in. and the other one is leaning to one side when lying down.

4. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I dunno I had news paper down in the brooder and the chicks thought it would be great to practice dust bathing on. [​IMG] Look up dust bathing on you tube or something and see if it looks similar.

5. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    First time I saw one of my chicks doing a dust bath I thought they were haveing a seizure!!

6. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    but the other one is not flopping around they other one is just leaning to the side and lying down a lot.

7. chickencity

Mar 21, 2008
    they are about 3 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by