help - foot injury

mainely-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Maine
One of the 4 day old chicks has a cut on toe. Looks red and black. She favors the leg and stands on one. Is this bumblefoot??? I washed it and put on some bacitracin.
Do I need to wrap it? Anything else I can do?

I don't think bumblefoot looks like a cut... it looks swollen. You put ointment on it already... You may want to put him on an antibiotic, but I'm thinking the ointment may be good enough. How big is the cut? Can you post a picture?

I did the oitment and tried a small bandage but overnight the other chicks pecked it off and also pecked most of the toe off - it was hanging by a thread-can she survive without middle toe?? She does not look good- eyes closed not drinking or eating?

Im no chicken expert...but sounds to me the poor little one needs to be seperated from the rest. Is there some way you can take her inside for a few days, maybe a week...let her heal? Maybe in a pet carrier? She is stressed, and will need extra care...warmth...and love. Good luck with her! I hope it all turns out good!

justusnak - took your advice and separated her and did my best but she did not make it.
I have lost two out of 47.
Not too bad for a rookie?

Sorry about your chick.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom