Help! Foot Problem

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I’m not sure what’s going on with my Guinea’s feet, she seems off and I see her limping or laying down away from the rest.
I’ve never had any with feet problems before so I have no idea what I’m looking at. It looks like her skin on her feet is just peeling off. No blood or swelling. Just looks like it’s peeling,
IMG_5212.jpeg
IMG_5211.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpeg
    IMG_5212.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 3
could be scaly leg, or perhaps a mild frostbite. try gently massaging her feet with vegetable oil.
She’s the only one having issues and just the bottom of her feet. I posted a back during the snow that they were out all day and I couldn’t find them but when I did they were standing in the snow on the edge of the property. I managed to heard them back to the coop but a few landed ontop of the chicken coop and stayed there for a little bit.
My husband thought maybe frost bite but she seems to be the only one with issues.
I will also note we don’t handle them regularly so in order to do anything it has to be before let out or at coop up. I also worry about them jerking their legs and accidentally breaking them since I read they are so easy to break. Unless that’s not a thing?

Should I separate her from the heard and put her in a dog kennel in the coop? I don’t want to add more stress but also want her to heal and she legit lays down and the flock move on without her. I’m just worried she’s going to make a quick snack or worsen.
These our the first guineas we’ve had so I’m not sure how their treatment should go with their different temperament/heard status’

She’s the only one having issues and just the bottom of her feet. I posted a back during the snow that they were out all day and I couldn’t find them but when I did they were standing in the snow on the edge of the property. I managed to heard them back to the coop but a few landed ontop of the chicken coop and stayed there for a little bit.
My husband thought maybe frost bite but she seems to be the only one with issues.
I will also note we don’t handle them regularly so in order to do anything it has to be before let out or at coop up. I also worry about them jerking their legs and accidentally breaking them since I read they are so easy to break. Unless that’s not a thing?
Guinea legs are fragile and need to be handled with care. You can gently wrap them in a towel to lessen their struggles while trying to treat them.

My experience is they become calmer if they are not in sight of the flock while being handled.

If it was mine, I would continue to observe it to see if it changes.

Guinea legs are fragile and need to be handled with care. You can gently wrap them in a towel to lessen their struggles while trying to treat them.

My experience is they become calmer if they are not in sight of the flock while being handled.

If it was mine, I would continue to observe it to see if it changes.
My husband is very much an observe type of person. We don’t want any more stress than necessary either. He thinks she’s getting better I just worked vet med for so long my instinct is to treat everything to prevent further issues but that being said we definitely don’t want to cause undue stress. For her or me (29 weeks pregnant)

Back
Top Bottom