HELP for a Guinea Fowl. Please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Catwmn, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Catwmn

Catwmn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Willis, TX
    I posted yesterday on the guinea board but got no responses so I am posting here:

I have a female Guinea that is approximately four months old that is very sick. I need some help to figure out what it could be and how to treat it.

Approximately a week ago I went into the guinea pen and found her very weak and unable to stand. When I picked her up I noticed that she was totally skin and bones. Since I have a pen for special needs birds I put her in there where she could rest without being trampled by other birds and she ate for about four hours straight. I figured at that time that maybe she was being bullied and had not been allowed to eat by the other guineas. Over the next few days she seemed to improve and was walking a bit on her own and eating and drinking.

Well, Two days ago I found her unable to stand again. So I moved her indoors to a crate and crop fed her some liquefied gamebird starter with ACV and Poultry Nutri drench mixed in. Within hours she was back on her feet and even tried to bite me. LOL. I crop fed her small amounts several times a day until she started to try to run away from me and then I figured she was OK to go back to the special needs pen.

So we put her back out there yesterday afternoon.

This morning she was totally almost lifeless. The other special needs birds had buried her in shavings and she could not move at all. barely opened her eyes when I snatched her up and cradled her inside my sweater. I rushed her back inside and crop fed her again and gave her vitamins.

I am thinking this is some sort of sickness she has and she needs antibiotics but I dont know what to give her.

I have Cipro, Metronidazole, and Tylan.

Her symptoms are:

Hunched appearance
    Ruffled Feathers
    Not eating or drinking
    Extreme loss of weight
    DIarrhea that stinks horribly and sticks to her feathers.

Yesterday she got three crop feedings and today I went and bought some Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula and mixed some of that up with pedialyte and gave it to her with a crushed Metronidazole tablet. She got a dose of Tylan today too. I'm really just grasping at straws here to save her.

Has anyone else here ever crop fed/tube fed a guinea fowl??

I am finding that my poor sick girl can only take about a teaspoon at a time. Is this normal?? When I was tube feeding my turkeys they could take about 60ml at a time.

I am worried I am not giving her enough. She is holding her head up more and I can tell she is more alert but she has still not tried to stand. She smells HORRIBLE from soiling on herself.If I thought the stress wouldn't kill her I would try to bathe her. Any suggestions??

She is drinking and eating SOME on her own and I gave her some millet and she went crazy for it. If she is taking a teaspoon at a time how many times per day should I be feeding her to make sure she is getting enough? It seems to take FOREVER for her crop to empty after a feeding.

I am so frustrated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I know nothing about guineas, but she sounds somewhat like a chicken with coccidiosis. Corid/amprollium 2 tsp liquid or 1 tsp powder in 1 gallon water for 5-7 days is the treatment. She also sounds as though she has sour crop, where the crop stays balloon like and squishy. It is a fungal infection, and here is a link for treatment: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Nystatin is recommended for sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by