1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help for an impacted crop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nancy P, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Nancy P

Nancy P Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Is the crop that long hard organ in front of the chickens throat? I have tried applesauce and stool softener yesterday and epsom salts today and it's still there. What should I do?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The crop is on the right side of the "chest/breast" area of the chicken. What you are feeling is most likely bones/esophagus/windpipe.
    A normal crop will feel and like a "ball" or "lump" on the breast when the chicken has eaten and is full. It will gradually go up and down as the day goes along when she eats/drinks/poos. At night the crop should be full and in the morning feel fairly empty.

Feed her a good poultry feed, provide fresh water, grit and oyster shell (if she is laying eggs). Limit treats to no more than 10-15% of daily intake.

Here's some links that show pictures of what a crop looks like:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
    https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/digestive-system-chicken/

1 person likes this.
  3. CleoneCluck

CleoneCluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    comment on the procedures outlined in chicken-chick's link given (see post above):

i strongly advise against "pouring a squirt down the chicken's throat";

if the chicken aspirates which is highly probable, it's dead in a minute or two.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by