Help for grieving duck

palowlander

Chirping
Sep 6, 2019
WE HAVE TWO MALE DUCKS IN ONE PEN AND WE HAD A MALE AND FEMALE BONDED PAIR IN OUR ADJOINING PEN. LAST NIGHT BEFORE PUTTING THEM AWAY FOR THE NIGHT WE FOUND SASSY OUT FEMALE KILLED BY I ASSUME A POSSUM. OUR MALE FRASS WITNESSED THE KILLING. THIS MORNING WE PUT HIM IN THE PEN WITH CRACKER AND WEBSTER OUR OTHER TWO MALE DUCKS. WONDERING IF PLACING HIM WITH THE OTHER TWO MALES IS BEST FOR HIM OR IF GETTING HIM ANOTHER FEMALE IS BETTER. HE CURRENTLY IS SITTING ALONE ALL TUCKED UP OBVIOUSLY GRIEVING ,HE WILL OCCASIONAL GET UP AND GO TO THE FENCE AND QUACK LIKE HE IS LOOKING FOR SASSY. MY HEART IS BREAKING FOR HIM. AT LEAST CRACKER AND WEBSTER ARE NOT BULLYING HIM BUT LIKE I SAID THEY ARNT HANGING OUT EITHER. ALSO WITH THE ATTACK ON SASSY THERE WAS ONLY A LITTLE BLOOD AND ONLY PART OF HER BACKEND WAS MANGLED..I AM THINKING POSSUM, THOUGHTS?

We have possums and have actually had them come right to the feeder and eat and never showed aggression. I guess they would kill and eat on a duck but never seen it here. I'd be more inclined to think raccoon or mink or weasel? how'd it get in? Surprised your drake wasn't killed also. Was this after dark? If so Id be putting them up before because what ever killed your duck will be back. Do you have traps set out? Game camera?

Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

I'd leave him in with your drakes as long as they aren't messing with him. At least he has company. Of course getting another female will make him happy too but if the 2 were together for a while he will grieve and be in shock from what he saw. You sure he isn't injured?

WE always put our chickens and ducks away at night..this occurred around 6pm before putting them in for the night. It climbed their fence obviously. Frass was unharmed and so were Cracker and Webster. No game cam out yet, but it will be going up. We had placed live traps for weeks about a month ago after finding some tracks but only caught a small possum during that time.

I'd leave him in with your drakes as long as they aren't messing with him. At least he has company. Of course getting another female will make him happy too but if the 2 were together for a while he will grieve and be in shock from what he saw. You sure he isn't injured?

Please secure your run where your little Sassy was when the predator got her. If you don't have a huge run can you cover it? Maybe get a taller fence? I know how sad this is for you but like @Miss Lydia said, whatever it is WILL be back!

Sorry that wasn't suppose to post, new to this. What I was trying to say is they have a good sized run, no good way to cover it all...and it's already 6 foot fencing. Currently Frass is in a pen with Cracker and Webster, two other drakes and also with 2 Nigerian/Pygmy cross goats. Hoping the goats afford them some security

Back
Top Bottom