Help for incubators.Thank

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mariolo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. mariolo

mariolo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Hello I am new to the forum.I live in Italy.And i have a friend in Malawi (Africa).I want buy a little incubators for him.he does not have electricity connections.I help him for connections now but it no good because one moment is there one moment no.
    I want buy a good little incubators for chicken with pannel solar and I can cheaply send in Malawi.
    Thank.
    Mario

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

I've not worked in Malawi but have worked in Africa and Asia. In parts, electrical power can be very uncertain, even in big cities. I understand your problem. I don't have any real solution for you though. Since you need power day and night, I'd think the batteries needed for nighttime power would make it prohibitively expensive. I hope someone on here can prove me wrong.

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I have to wonder how big a solar panel or panels it would take to run a basic still air with an added 12v computer fan.

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Okay after some some research. a 55 watt solar panel is around $350 then a battery to charge plus a 12v to 120v converter to run around 55 watts around $80 so it's going to be expensive. Plus the cost of the incubator.

5. mariolo

mariolo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Thank.
    But I think it is very expensive.Because 400$ it is only for small incubator.What do you think?
    thank you very much for your research.
    Mario

6. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I bet you could rig something up with a peltier having the "hot" side facing the incubator. Maybe a candle warming the cold side heatsink could improve efficiency.

In the end it might be cheaper and more reliable to help him source a few consistently broody hens. Providing consistent heat takes a lot of energy.

The incubator "cabinet" could be constructed out of locally sourced materials.

Incukit sells a 12 v DC version of their incubator kit I believe.

Hope this helps! And [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by