Help for my OEG

aus chicken inc

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am new to this i have a hand raised hen her name is Jr she is an OEG and 9 years old but in the last 4-5 months she has gone blind and the best way to describe it she has fits if scared can anyone help with if this is normal i have wormed her she lives in a cage by herself because it took us 3 weeks to get her to come out from under the house. She is health and going yellow as if she is going to start laying.
thank you jenny

Aloha and
welcome-byc.gif

im not sure what to do for your hen, but it sounds like she is just getting older...
im sure someone here will have some good advise for you - you have come to the right place.
good luck

The fits she runs around the cage in circles and falls back onto her bottom and turns her head in circle motions almost as if she has no control over her head and neck trying to put her head into her back but when i go out and call her she starts to calm down she is a pet hand raised from the egg some people called me nuts because she used to sleep in the bed with me when she was a baby.

i am hoping someone can help me she is the family pet she comes inside she rides the motor bike anything the kids do she wants to do as well.

I'd be scared too if I went blind, this is the reason why she is acting in this manner you described. Old age could be the cause of her blindness, maybe genetics...who knows. If she's not familiar with being caged, I can understand why she's distressed being caged and alone.
You're going to have to somehow provide her a "safe" environment that she "feels" safe and secure. Try the cage with her, soft easy music playing from a radio on low volume might help ease her fears. Perhaps a repeated tape recording of your voice being played over and over again may help since she is familiar with it...just some ideas for you to consider. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom