Help for my Slow Lady - Infection?

Lovinmyladies

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Penny is a peppy 2-3 yr old Gingernut Ranger (RIR cross). She free ranges along with two others in my urban yard. She presented with sour crop two days ago - foul smell, gurgly tummy sounds, not much movement. Her crop was like a water balloon. I tipped her forward and she vomitted a lot of foul smelling brown liquid. Didn't appear to be impacted. Afterwards she was making congested sounds and I was terrified that she had taken some fluid into her lungs. She was not active, wouldn't eat or drink on her own and wasn't moving much.I used a spoon to feed her kefir, honey, and garlic. She ate a bit, perked up some and seemed to be taking a turn for the better. I started feeding her some coconut oil (anti bacterial & fungal) in addition to the garlic and a bit of kefir. As the day progressed the smell was gone, she began eating a ton, joining the girls more and the congested sound went away.

Yesterday her crop was fine, she was pooping small amounts at a time, talking in her sweet voice and eating well. I thought we were out of the woods until today. She is still so much slower than the other ones. She tends to stay on her own. She'll sometimes slowly come when called but doesn't ever run and isn't much interested in the kefir anymore. She walks around free ranging, stops to preen, drinks some and eats. Twice today she has layed down on her side when I approached, extended her wing, and froze in that position. I noticed that her poop is very small, but doesn't smell foul and looks normal other than the size. She hasn't laid an egg in a long time, although I have found soft shells in the nest that may be from her. Her vent looks fine.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if she does have an infection. Maybe she has impaction other than in the crop? If so, where do I get antibiotics? I'm thinking it might be tough to find a vet in our urban city.

Last edited:
If you listen to her chest, is there any wheezing? I am wondering if perhaps she has an infection in the lung because of the aspirated fluid? Baytril can be bought in a liquid form for parrots w/o an RX online since she seems more like a pet now. I'd also up the oyster shell if you are seeing soft shelled eggs.... I hope someone more experienced can chime in for you.............

If it doesn't sound respiratory then I'd try giving some penicillin if you can't get Baytril. It may be an infection somewhere. Has she been wormed etc, as that can drag them down too and can worsen when there has been other stress........ ?

I've had her just under a year and I have never wormed her. I've checked her poop closely and there are no visible worms, but maybe they can stay internal? What does a worming treatment entail?

There are many types of wormers..... For lice,mites and most worms I use Ivomectrian inject able in a syringe an apply it to the skin under a wing or back of neck, some people use the pour on version. But you do have to hold off on eating eggs on most wormers. Safeguard is good for many types of worms and helping to prevent Blackhead disease in turkey and peafow , I often use this one if I have a chicken in poor health as Safeguard tends to be safer. Levasole is another good wormer but you often have to order it. For Tapeworms i use Zimerctrian gold, a horse wormer paste and give only a small dab in the beak over the tongue depending on the weight of the chicken it treats one type but their are other wormers for sheep that treat more. Wazine is only good for round worms.

So, I would try the Safeguard on her if you see no lice/mites by her vent area or under her feathers. 1 cc per 10lbs. So a hen may get 1/2 cc - 1cc. A bantam 1/4 cc. You can also mix 3 cc to a gallon of water for prevention, but I personally give it to them directly. Do this for 3 days, then repeat in 7 days to help kill any eggs left that will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom