Help for pullet-Update, she Didnt make it.

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 20, 2007
Wetumpka
If this one dies, it will be the 3rd bantam in 3 weeks to pass.
They are in a tractor.
I move it often.
I feed them laying crumbles.
Here are the symptoms, in order of progression.

Listless
Wont fly up at night to roost.
Roost on the ground.
Wont even move when I pick them up to isolate them

Then just simply ease on out, like they have sleeping sickness.

No sign of mites.
Poo gets a little runny, but only in the last 24 hours before they pass.

I have not wormed them since getting them. I am going to stop by the feed store tomorrow and get wormer.
Could this be worms?

HELP!!!!!

Update: SHe was gone when I got home this evening. But I got wormer on the way home and the rest of the flock will be wormed tommorow. I hope that is all that it was.

Last edited:
I do hope you can find a source of help better than myself, but.......

No runny noses or repetitive sneezing I take it. Watery eyes or goopy eyes?

Have they been losing weight? Worms would cause that. Seen any in their poop?

Are they eating well?

Does coop have real good ventilation? Do they get fresh air regularly.

I wish you much luck with this issue, friend

Quote:
No respitory problems.
Eyes are closed. She wont open them.
No worms in poop that I have seen.
Not eating anything now, or today.
Great ventilation in the coop.

I'm no expert, Mike, so what you describe seems out of my range. But I know some folks do worm regularly. Ivomec Eprinex Pour On is the best stuff to use, I've heard.

If worm infestation is severe it can kill a bird, or perhaps if it occurs with another non-lethal illness, the combo. could also be lethal.

Do read up on disease symptoms

Again, best of luck

I would bet some type of toxin.

How do you store your feed? What brand is it? This is a tough one but smell it, does it smell like a normal fresh feed?
Has everyone died while using this same bag of feed? It may not even be the way you stored it, it may be the fault of the feed store letting it get wet and it turned moldy. There have been many cases on here of buying bad feed.

When you say poo is runny, what color or colors do you see? Is the consistancy like hot melted chocolate or kind of chunky?

What does the poo of the rest of the flock look like, prior to getting sick and dying?

How long is it from the time they turn listless to the time they die?

I know these are alot of questions but we need to find out what is wrong quickly before they all die on you.

What age are these birds? Did you raise them from chicks? I would not rule out cocci either. Pine Grove is right by saying blood is not always in the poo.

These are the two most logical things that could be wrong with the seemingly quick onset and death of your birds.

If you can rule out the bad feed idea, it would be wise to treat with sulmet or corrid.

Please keep us updated. This is how we all learn. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom